Author Topic: Pagan pre-session prayer at Escambia County, Florida Commission meeting  (Read 4979 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
The video of the invocation needs to go viral. One dipshit fundie commissioner walked out before the prayer even began because Satan.
Everybody else at the county commission meeting in this semi-rural Florida beach community remained standing, and listened respectfully, while the dude sang the Pagan invocation, beautifully.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjkwPK8HuKQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjkwPK8HuKQ</a>

full story on RAW:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/watch-fl-county-commissioner-walks-out-to-avoid-hearing-pagans-satanic-invocation/

ADDENDUM -

Earlier this month, the Escambia County School Board's attorney was discussing with the School Board how to continue legally blocking invocations "that might make the majority uncomfortable". Redneck bitches. Typical small town fundie micro politicians.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Rc4_EqfIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Rc4_EqfIg</a>

Here is David Suhor giving his timed, 3 minute rebuttal to the School Board about their decision to "uninvite" him from giving a Pagan invocation at their meetings. This guy is so smart and so cool, I want to ask him to join our forum here.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkYZpBFKvo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkYZpBFKvo</a>

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:54:16 am by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Pagan pre-session prayer at Escambia County, Florida Commission meeting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:03:23 am »
I bet that frummer would've been outraged if somebody had walked out during a Christian prayer.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »
Using your own actual religion to troll people who believe that religion (by which they mean the Christian religion) belongs in the government?  Fantastic.

Doing it in a beautiful chant and putting your heart into it?  Priceless.

For everything else, there's Mastercard.

EDIT:

I like this part from the article posted.

Suhor, whose religion worships nature, explained that he wants others to experience what he feels when attending public meetings.

“In a way I would like for other people to experience what it’s like when I go to a meeting and am asked to pray against my conscience,” he said.

Suhor has been attempting to deliver invocations at various public functions, including before the Escambia County School Board, where he has previously been blocked, after being told he might “offend” attendees.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:06:45 pm by Witchyjoshy »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 06:12:40 pm »
And then one of them went for the most hilarious slippery slope argument. "What if a witch doctor comes in?!"
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
And then proceeded to give a stereotypical, bigoted view of what they think a witch doctor is.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »
My response would be, "What if they did? So long as they aren't breaking any laws, what does it matter?"

Of course, that would fly right over their head.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:37:05 pm »
All parties involved in this are spectacular fuckknuckles who fail to grasp what "secular" is supposed to mean.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 08:55:42 pm »
All parties involved in this are spectacular fuckknuckles who fail to grasp what "secular" is supposed to mean.

Agreed, but I don't mind rubbing Christians' faces in the mess they made until they realize that fact.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:03:04 pm »

Suhor has accused various government boards of religious discrimination by limiting public prayers and invocations almost exclusively to Christianity.

His goal he says, is to eliminate them altogether and substitute in a moment of silence.

“I think they should not be offering a prayer or sponsoring a prayer of any particular religion,” He explained.
“Instead I think they should have an more exclusive moment of silence which allows anyone to pray according to their own conscience.”

It's almost like you didn't bother to read the article.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:08:13 pm »

Suhor has accused various government boards of religious discrimination by limiting public prayers and invocations almost exclusively to Christianity.

His goal he says, is to eliminate them altogether and substitute in a moment of silence.

“I think they should not be offering a prayer or sponsoring a prayer of any particular religion,” He explained.
“Instead I think they should have an more exclusive moment of silence which allows anyone to pray according to their own conscience.”

Because a moment of silence specifically for prayer is totally secular, right? Secular would mean no praying of any kind at all in government. Do that on your own time, if you're so inclined.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 09:55:02 pm »

Because a moment of silence specifically for prayer is totally secular, right? Secular would mean no praying of any kind at all in government. Do that on your own time, if you're so inclined.

While I agree that just abolishing it entirely would be the best choice, a moment of silence is a moment of silence, for whatever reason it exists.  It's certainly not having prayer crammed down your throat.  Unless you've somehow developed uncontrollable telepathy, in which case, I feel pity for you, and wish you the best of luck in getting that condition cured.

A moment of silence can also be used for putting your thoughts in order, rolling your eyes at the waste of time, mentally planning your shopping list, forgetting your shopping list before you find a pen and piece of paper, thinking about [censored for your sanity], and getting a song stuck in your head.

The biggest reason I'm against the moment of silence can be summed up as thus:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtm_Q2LK9g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtm_Q2LK9g</a>
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:56:55 pm by Witchyjoshy »

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 10:04:14 pm »
Also a moment of silence means we don't have to listen to people bitch near as much about how the evil atheists banned prayers. Not that I've ever seen a moment of silence used for prayer. Seriously, For the whole time I wnet to school we had a moment of silence every morning after doing the pledge of allegiance*, and not once do I think I saw anyone pray. Hell, people were rarely silent.

* Am I the only one who in retrospect finds having to pledge allegiance to a flag daily to be a little weird?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 10:05:24 pm »
* Am I the only one who in retrospect finds having to pledge allegiance to a flag daily to be a little weird?

Nope, because it IS fucking weird.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:54 pm »
While I agree that just abolishing it entirely would be the best choice, a moment of silence is a moment of silence, for whatever reason it exists.  It's certainly not having prayer crammed down your throat.  Unless you've somehow developed uncontrollable telepathy, in which case, I feel pity for you, and wish you the best of luck in getting that condition cured.
It's not about cramming it down anyone's throat. It's that any sort of religious activity should be done on your own time. A secular government has no business setting aside time specifically for that purpose, and it's not something anyone should be prepared to compromise on with the fundies. If it's that important to you that the organisation you work for validates your religion (be it Christian, pagan or any other flavour of irrational bullshit), go find another line of work.
A moment of silence can also be used for putting your thoughts in order, rolling your eyes at the waste of time, mentally planning your shopping list, forgetting your shopping list before you find a pen and piece of paper, thinking about [censored for your sanity], and getting a song stuck in your head.
Sure, but let's be honest here. It's for prayer. That's exactly what these people have in mind when they proposed it, and it's also why it has no place in a secular government.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 08:31:00 am »

Nope, because it IS fucking weird.

Agreed, I'm amazed it's 2014 and it's still going on.