Author Topic: Happy belated birthday to my favorite musician of all time  (Read 1483 times)

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
The guy who I am referring to in the thread title is Dr. Brian May, who turned 71 yesterday.  And by the way, that "Dr." ain't no lie...hes got a legit PhD in astrophysics.  Wrote his thesis on space dust, or something like that.  If I'm remembering the story right, he had almost all his studies completed around 1970 or so, but broke it off to pursue a career in music, and that kinda turned out okay.  Then submitted the thesis in uh, 2000-something, I think.

But anyway, aside from all that, you'd know him better as the guitarist (and sometime keyboardist, frequent  backing and occasional lead vocalist!) for the band Queen.   

The possessor of, in my opinion, the best electric guitar tine EVER.  And, that is due in no small part to the guitar that he and his father designed and crafted, which became known as the Red Special.  (I could go on about why that is so...but that would get into extreme guitar nerd talk)

And ya know, there's also the whole thing of how he's the songwriter behind some of Queen's biggest hits.  For instance, a little number that goes "stomp stomp clap" or something like that.  Yeah, you might have heard that one.

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
Re: Happy belated birthday to my favorite musician of all time
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:31:17 am »
Also, I could get into other songs Brian wrote for Queen.  Tie Your Mother Down, Hammer To Fall, Keep Yourself Alive, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Long Away, '39....

By the way, the last three songs are among any list I would make of underrated Queen songs.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 01:36:49 am »
Did he write 'Fat Bottomed Girls'?

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 01:42:27 am »
Did he write 'Fat Bottomed Girls'?

Most certainly, and sung a good bit of the vocals as well. Parts are basically a duet between Brian and Freddie

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 01:45:41 am »
Doesn't get much better than that. Music of my youth and coincidentally love a fat girl.

Offline KingOfRhye

• Pope
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 01:54:56 am »
Of course, I just listened to Fat Bottomed Girls....and then , can't hear that without Bicycle Race, right?   I wouldn't call that one of my favorite Queen songs, but it's for sure another example of their, uh... what's the word... progressiveness.  They were willing to do any freaking thing and they pulled it off.