Author Topic: A is for asshole  (Read 9791 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: A is for asshole
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:06 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/09/07/bc-ubc-frosh-pro-rape-chant.html

I've never been more ashamed of my alma mater than I am now.

This time it was only the Commerce Undergraduate Society, and only on a bus, but the chant was basically the same, except with "G" being for "go to jail".

And apparently this too has been going on for years.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 05:35:42 pm »
Yes, boys will be boys.  The most imaginative blasphemy, flagrant sexism and pathological social observations I ever encountered were in college.   That was the early 1950's.   And that was a Catholic men's college.  Other contributions to society included drinking beer until it ran out of our noses.   Most of us went on to be not quite so naughty.  It's called growing up.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »
Yes, boys will be boys.  The most imaginative blasphemy, flagrant sexism and pathological social observations I ever encountered were in college.   That was the early 1950's.   And that was a Catholic men's college.  Other contributions to society included drinking beer until it ran out of our noses.   Most of us went on to be not quite so naughty.  It's called growing up.
Well, we should teach them to not be like that. If I can be respectful towards women and treat humans as equal, so can they.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:40 pm »

Sorry, OV, but this is coming across as sneakingly close to "its their culture and we're wrong for judging it."  If people in Saudi Arabia were chanting this, people the world over would be calling for their heads.  A bunch of knuckle-dragging bros in college chant this, and its okay because "boys will be boys."  People aren't children going into college; more times than not, they're adults, and they're expected to act like adults and that means not being raging cunts and engaging in a cheer that's almost congratulating child molestation.

We are right for judging them, and they're in the wrong.  Its fucked, and the pukes who started this shit should be expelled, and any participants after the fact should be put on reprimand, at the very least.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »

Sorry, OV, but this is coming across as sneakingly close to "its their culture and we're wrong for judging it."  If people in Saudi Arabia were chanting this, people the world over would be calling for their heads.  A bunch of knuckle-dragging bros in college chant this, and its okay because "boys will be boys."  People aren't children going into college; more times than not, they're adults, and they're expected to act like adults and that means not being raging cunts and engaging in a cheer that's almost congratulating child molestation.

We are right for judging them, and they're in the wrong.  Its fucked, and the pukes who started this shit should be expelled, and any participants after the fact should be put on reprimand, at the very least.
Should Jimmy Carr be forbidden from going on TV and on the radio because he makes child molestation jokes?

And if not, what exactly is the difference? The fact that his jokes are good and that this joke song was a shitty attempt at edgy humour?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:58:49 pm by LeTipex »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:49 pm »
"Good jokes" and "Child molestation jokes" are mutually exclusive.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:48 am »
Depends on whether the joke is at the expense of the molesters or the victims.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 03:40:49 am »
Context, people.

I am reminded of the 'nuke them'/'kill them'/'rape them with a thousand rusty spoons' responses many topics here receive on the first page, when some scandal or other sparks our outrage.
Is it offensive? Yes, kinda. I don't think anyone really ever defended it as perfectly okay and appropriate. But there is a common understanding how it's not meant seriously. And when there is doubt that someone is, in fact, saying it seriously, they are called out on it.

Is it nevertheless an endorsement of child molestationmurder? Feeding into rapeviolent culture?
Where is the moral difference between this chant and this aspect of our forum culture? If I'm making a false equivalence fallacy, please point out the critical difference, because I'm not seeing it at this moment.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 06:18:17 am »

And there we disagree.

Is child molestation the only thing that is impossible to joke about? If yes, why that, since there are many, many horrible things in the world, and I'm not even going to try and decide which one is worse than the other. If no, what other things do you feel should never ever be joked about? And where do you stop?

And also, you did not answer my question. Seeing as how Jimmy Carr makes those kind of jokes, should he be forbidden to get on TV?

Context, people.

I am reminded of the 'nuke them'/'kill them'/'rape them with a thousand rusty spoons' responses many topics here receive on the first page, when some scandal or other sparks our outrage.
Is it offensive? Yes, kinda. I don't think anyone really ever defended it as perfectly okay and appropriate. But there is a common understanding how it's not meant seriously. And when there is doubt that someone is, in fact, saying it seriously, they are called out on it.

Is it nevertheless an endorsement of child molestationmurder? Feeding into rapeviolent culture?
Where is the moral difference between this chant and this aspect of our forum culture? If I'm making a false equivalence fallacy, please point out the critical difference, because I'm not seeing it at this moment.

Seconding this.

Again : not saying this isn't an offensive song. Merely that rape jokes such as that one might be horrible and unfunny, but do not constitute rape advocacy.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:20:04 am by LeTipex »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 09:12:22 am »
I don't think the chant advocates rape, but I think it can lead to people not taking it as seriously. It's frightening how many people are raped on campus, yet receive responses like "Well, at least you're getting laid" and "You were probably too drunk to care" and "Dressed like that? You were just asking for it."
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 10:14:46 am »
I don't think the chant advocates rape, but I think it can lead to people not taking it as seriously. It's frightening how many people are raped on campus, yet receive responses like "Well, at least you're getting laid" and "You were probably too drunk to care" and "Dressed like that? You were just asking for it."

That I completely agree with.

Which is why I said that
The best way to tackle the issue would be to make sure that everybody understand what they're singing and what it really means.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 02:43:09 pm »
Not always.

(click to show/hide)
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »
I am in no manner suggesting that the chant isn't crude and offensive.   That's what it's meant to be.   But if all it takes is a college cheer to turn people into slavering rapists we're in big trouble.   Perspective.   Perspective.   
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 04:13:25 pm »
I am in no manner suggesting that the chant isn't crude and offensive.   That's what it's meant to be.   But if all it takes is a college cheer to turn people into slavering rapists we're in big trouble.   Perspective.   Perspective.
I wish I had the links right now, but I am pretty sure studies have found that group mentality will go much, much further than one single person, and will take the group mindset to extremes. So... a chant kinda does.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 10:49:26 pm »
I wish I had the links right now, but I am pretty sure studies have found that group mentality will go much, much further than one single person, and will take the group mindset to extremes. So... a chant kinda does.
In my experience with offensive uni chant, the group mentality does affect you a lot... it gets you to chant the offensive song with your buddies, while you would not do in on your own. It would take a special kind of fucked up for the group mentality to carry over that into actual molestation. (and in that case, yeah, they can burn)