Author Topic: The new Windows 8  (Read 5629 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Re: The new Windows 8
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26:31 pm »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 05:26:04 am »
I think I know what's going to happen. 

Microsoft is going to have two, and only two, OS's. 

The first one will be a fairly unattractive, utilitarian operating system which will be intended mostly for developers.  It will have the capability to run things like VMware or whatever virtual machine software they're using, and compilers and whatnot, because that's the platform that software--I'm sorry, apps--for the consumer-grade OS will be created on.  It will have minimal eye-candy and will be intended to run on hardware that's either very different or much more powerful than most consumers have at their disposal.  It will either be hideously expensive or mostly unavailable for purchase unless you happen to be a professional developer, and the average user probably isn't going to want it anyway, since it likely won't be much good for gaming or entertainment, unless you plan to run an operating system really capable of those things sandboxed within it.

The second OS will be the consumer-grade version.  Your experience on the desktop version will be identical to your experience on the phone version, which will be identical to your laptop, which will be identical to your console/television, which will be identical to your tablet.  It will be big and bright and shiny and colorful like a cheerful clown suit, and you will have many ways to customize the color and sounds, so that users who like fuschia backgrounds or flowers and harps or whatever will be able to rearrange it to their liking, using its handy touchscreen motion-sensitive interface.  Grandma will be able to easily find her Facebook page, since the app will be right there--there will be no distinction between "online" and "offline," and the entire experience will be simplified to the point of "touch the button and it goes."  There will be many games for it like Angry Birds:  Chernobyl and Gears of Warcraft 4 and 5, and many apps for accounting and word processing, most of which will be entirely online and you may pay a monthly fee for as a service, with different levels of functionality based on your subscription level.  Most storage will be offline, in the cloud, and you will not be prompted to save anything locally, because there may be no capability to do so.  There will be no opportunities for piracy, since games, software, music, books, television programs and movies will never actually be able to be stored on a local hard drive in a form you have access to, and can be quickly deleted from your storage if they happen to violate copyright--and there may even be options to limit their access only to the person who purchased them to begin with, using biometrics.  In any event, it will be flatly impossible to resell old or used software or games.  It is possible that some or even most processing power will be kept offsite as well, and you will pay for that, too, depending on whether advances in broadband technology keep up.  Your computer will be entirely locked down, just like an iPhone--you will have no access to the guts of the operating system, since you will not be an administrator of your own computer or anything on it, and will only be able to modify it in the few ways you are legally allowed to.  Coding or modification will be difficult, inconvenient or maybe even impossible, since the consumer-grade OS was never intended to be a developer OS and any modification of the OS breaks the EULA you digitally signed by installing it in the first place.  In order to do any of those things, you will have to uninstall it entirely and replace it with another OS that allows you to do so, with no guarantee that your computer's hardware will be capable of running it (See the recent kerfluffle with Intel and Linux), or jailbreak your own computer and run the risk of turning it into a very expensive, postmodern boat anchor with the very next involuntary update or patch. 

On the other hand, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:44:09 am by tempus »
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:53 am »
Gotta love that jealousy right? By that I mean MS's jealousy of Apple.  This new Win8 they have created after I played with the RTM version just screams of them being jealous of Apple's success. So what do they do now?  They are trying to do the same thing and become a more "closed source" system like Apple is.  The only difference is 1. They are severely late to this 2. Businesses hate Apple (in a production environment) because they are closed source and from what I've been hearing from a few of my IT friends is businesses have no intentions of touching Win8 or Server 2012.  Also maybe this is just me but I find it really fishy that Microsoft is selling Win8 for the cheapest I think they have ever sold a operating system before.  If they can sell it so cheap that just makes me wonder what kind of quality is really put into it (see security).
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 03:52:19 pm »
Of course its going to be garbage, that's Microsoft's whole marketing scheme.  Every other iteration since ME has been garbage: ME, Vista, and now 8.  They're shovelware to make us more appreciative when they do make a good operating system, which is probably what they've actually been developing since Win7.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.