Author Topic: Scientists have grown the embryos of a extinct species  (Read 9028 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Scientists have grown the embryos of a extinct species
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 12:20:20 am »
It burns...the horror, it burns.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:27 am »
It burns...the horror, it burns.
Shield your eyes!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 01:57:24 am »
I'll just put on my trusty goggles...

Hey, does that guy in the lower right corner has blue skin and a ligthsaber?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:21 am »
I'll just put on my trusty goggles...

Hey, does that guy in the lower right corner has blue skin and a ligthsaber?

That's actually James Bond himself on a rocket platform, replacing the classic jet pack from Thunderball, a far superior film also starring Sean Connery as Bond and made with the regular EON cast and essentially the same plot. For people who aren't Bond fans, Never Say Never Again was basically a remake of the earlier film by a different company with the same actor as Bond, but in the 1980s. The only things of note were the black Felix Leiter before the Daniel Craig films did it and the first film appearance of the Beretta 93R machine pistol.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:06 am »
I know the movie.

It was a competing film and they had to fight with EON for a while to get it made. The movie has Bond using a Walther P5, probably because the use of PPK would have been too close to the "official" Bond movies or something.

But seriously, look at that guy: Blue skin, lightsaber, no pants. What the heck?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:07 am »
I know the movie.

It was a competing film and they had to fight with EON for a while to get it made. The movie has Bond using a Walther P5, probably because the use of PPK would have been too close to the "official" Bond movies or something.

But seriously, look at that guy: Blue skin, lightsaber, no pants. What the heck?

The lightsaber is I think a strap from his equipment or the rocket platform, and he's wearing one of those ridiculous decades-old wetsuits that has short shorts instead of full leg coverings.

The blue skin is just a shitty artist.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
Justin Beiber has a big head.

I think this cloning thing is kinda cool yet it's scary. I wonder how long it will be before we have a Gattacca style society.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
Justin Beiber has a big head.

I think this cloning thing is kinda cool yet it's scary. I wonder how long it will be before we have a Gattacca style society.

It would probably require civil rights to roll back a bit. Gattaca showed a society where the disabled (or even people simply predisposed to potential hereditary problems) literally lost rights and were given menial jobs. Scary as it seems with the realism behind the study of genetic research and manipulation, current society doesn't give two shits about hereditary disease as long as you can do the work and the disabled are outright encouraged to succeed and show their full potential in spite of their physical or mental problems. Not to mention that we're making very rapid headway in equal rights for all citizens (much faster than historical precedent before the 20th century). Gattaca would require society to simply drop all accomplishments made with civil rights and attempts to help the disabled and become perfectly fine with their friends and family being denied opportunity based on genetic profiling that isn't 100% accurate.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 11:03:07 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QVXdEOiCw8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QVXdEOiCw8</a>

this is strangely relevant. (jack horner discussing reverse engineering a dino from a chicken)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrenean_ibex

this sucker i'd like to see brought back though. the pyrenean ibex died out in 2000, and they were trying to clone the last living female. might be something to be done?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 05:42:03 pm »
this sucker i'd like to see brought back though. the pyrenean ibex died out in 2000, and they were trying to clone the last living female. might be something to be done?

If they've got DNA handy, that's the first step. The biggest problem even if you can get DNA for cloning is finding an egg that can properly develop into a healthy baby. Cloned animals also tend to have a lot of problems due to the natural imperfections in the DNA; the biggest is premature aging, as the telomeres in the cells have already shortened with age because they're taken from another animal. If we could figure out how to keep telomeres from shortening, cloning's hardly our biggest advance. We'd have just discovered the cure to aging.