Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462293 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #900 on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:14 am »
Ha, I learned from the NoX and TTLG forums that gaming forums are generally to be avoided unless visiting is absolutely necessary.

Also, I haven't had that many experiences like that in DDO...which is likely the reason why its so damned grating.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #901 on: August 24, 2012, 02:03:09 am »
Ha, I learned from the NoX and TTLG forums that gaming forums are generally to be avoided unless visiting is absolutely necessary.

Also, I haven't had that many experiences like that in DDO...which is likely the reason why its so damned grating.

Right...

Speaking of which, I'm kinda tempted to make a sorc in DDO now, starting anew.  Any suggestions for which Savant line to go with?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #902 on: August 24, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
Hmm...depends on what ya want out of it.

Fire savant is good for crowd control, but loses a fair bit of effectiveness in later levels because many opponents either have resistance or immunity to fire.

Earth savant is good for damage over time, and acid retains a fairly level rate of effectiveness throughout the game...least, that I've seen, of course.

Water savant starts out kinda weak, facing a lot of undead in the early game, its effectiveness is pretty low, but it gets much better after about level 8-9 or so, when you start facing things that -aren't- undead.  Also, apparently quite good against daemons.

Air savants are great for early game daze-locking foes, due to Sound Burst and Electric Loop, and they're also good for single-target spiking.  Once you get Ball Lightning and Chain Lightning, however, you also get a really good boost in crowd control effectiveness.  Also, with Air Savant II (at level 12), you get a permanent feather fall toggle, which saves you a boot/cloak/ring slot that you've got taken up with a feather fall item, so you can use it for something else.  If its boots, I'd -definitely- suggest striding.  Great in case you've gotta get the hell outta dodge.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:10:00 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #903 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:58 pm »
Replaying Dead Space 2.  Nice, fun, creepy game and the first time a cardboard sun made me jump.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #904 on: August 25, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »
Dear friends- This October, I will be getting all of my remaining wisdom teeth removed at once. After the procedure, I must spend seven days sitting in bed and taking the pain medication they prescribe. This will put me in a state of mind professionally known as "tripping balls". Therefore, I want your input- what bizarre, psychedelic, and generally brain-breaking video games should I play during my recovery? Whatever you suggest, I'll film my playthroughs so we can share in the best medicine of all- schadenfreude.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Saturn500

« Reply #905 on: August 25, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »
Dear friends- This October, I will be getting all of my remaining wisdom teeth removed at once. After the procedure, I must spend seven days sitting in bed and taking the pain medication they prescribe. This will put me in a state of mind professionally known as "tripping balls". Therefore, I want your input- what bizarre, psychedelic, and generally brain-breaking video games should I play during my recovery? Whatever you suggest, I'll film my playthroughs so we can share in the best medicine of all- schadenfreude.
Naaaa nanana nana nana, Katamari Damacy...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:14:50 pm by Saturn500 »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #906 on: August 25, 2012, 02:13:48 pm »
Lemme think...
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Binding of Isaac
-Postal 2
-Psychonauts
-Penumbra: Overture
-Amnesia: The Dark Descent
-The Ship
-Saints Row 2
-Fahrenheit (not Indigo Prophecy, the US localisation is censored)

Have fun (and good luck successfully recording, editing, rendering and uploading your playthroughs while tripping balls, boy are you going to need it).

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #907 on: August 25, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »
Lemme think...
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Binding of Isaac
-Postal 2
-Psychonauts
-Penumbra: Overture
-Amnesia: The Dark Descent
-The Ship
-Saints Row 2
-Fahrenheit (not Indigo Prophecy, the US localisation is censored)

Have fun (and good luck successfully recording, editing, rendering and uploading your playthroughs while tripping balls, boy are you going to need it).

A buddy of mine will be helping with the recording and the like- I'll just be playing the games.I've already got Amnesia and Psychonauts ready, and I'll try to find Fahrenheit. I hadn't thought of Conker, and my friend already owns it so I won't have to buy/rent it.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #908 on: August 25, 2012, 02:32:25 pm »
A buddy of mine will be helping with the recording and the like- I'll just be playing the games.I've already got Amnesia and Psychonauts ready, and I'll try to find Fahrenheit. I hadn't thought of Conker, and my friend already owns it so I won't have to buy/rent it.
You can find Fahrenheit here if you do decide to get it. It's cheap, modded to work on Windows 7 and it's the uncensored version. That said, I'd highly recommend Postal 2. You can actually whip it out in public and urinate all over people if you so desire. It's truly a beautiful game.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #909 on: August 25, 2012, 03:48:08 pm »

Psychonauts has already been suggested so I'll throw Rayman 2: The Great Escape into the suggestions. Rayman is basically what happens when you cross a French dude with LSD then tell him to design a game.

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #910 on: August 25, 2012, 03:48:19 pm »
Deadly Premonition.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #911 on: August 25, 2012, 11:22:11 pm »
LSD, the Japanese game.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #912 on: August 25, 2012, 11:56:53 pm »
Definitely echoing Katamari Damacy and Psychonauts.  I suggest Ultima Underworld II, as there are several parts...and one part in -very- particular, that are trippy as fuck.

Also, I've begun to understand the mystery of blueprints and builders in Technic.  My first creation?  A base built out of reinforced stone and glass...completely bomb-proof, and a fair amount of room to move in.  Think I might create a blueprint for a larger room, though.  I want it to end up being a totally bomb-proof manufactury, using a complex series of BuildCraft pipes automating as much as I possibly can: ore macerating/smelting, an automated system to make solar arrays (up to and including the high-voltage version), MFSUs, lapotron crystals...perhaps I'll try to divine the mystery of logistics pipes, next!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #913 on: August 26, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »
Speaking of Ultima Underworld, GOG.com now has the entire Ultima series up and they're selling all the games as a 50% off package. it's a good excuse for me to play the Ultima games proper.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #914 on: August 26, 2012, 03:10:48 pm »
Rinella:  I had all my wisdom teeth pulled at once, and I was fine three hours later and only taking a couple ibuprofen...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."