Author Topic: "You're Generalizing!!!!!!111"  (Read 2951 times)

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
Re: "You're Generalizing!!!!!!111"
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:59 am »
If you say crap like "We're not all like that," that just tells me you are "like that" and you're being defensive. If you truly are not "like that" your actions will speak for themselves.

I"ll remember that the next time someone bashes a group you're part of.  Of course, that's assuming you don't just decide "Oh, well this person is a part of group x, so their criticism can just be ignored."
--------------------> the point

(O_O) <------------ your head

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:57 am »
That one fandom.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:07:12 am »
If you say crap like "We're not all like that," that just tells me you are "like that" and you're being defensive. If you truly are not "like that" your actions will speak for themselves.

I"ll remember that the next time someone bashes a group you're part of.  Of course, that's assuming you don't just decide "Oh, well this person is a part of group x, so their criticism can just be ignored."
--------------------> the point

(O_O) <------------ your head

Uh huh.  Whatever it takes for you to keep feeling superior.  Seriously, judging someone for getting defensive/the way they get defensive is just...

...kfljdsklfjdsklfs.  Not cool.  Also - and this is the part that pisses me off the most - when people start saying "You're all like that." they do it with a mindset that makes them hyper-critical of the person who dares take a defensive stance.  Ya know, just looking for the slightest flaw to reaffirm their belif that "AHA, I TOLD YOU YOU'RE ALL LIKE THAT!"

I dunno about you personally, but people in general don't take to kindly to being lumped in to a group that's harshly criticized/generalized.

And, as I said before:  It's a fuckton easier to be on the end bashing a group than it is to be in the group being bashed - especially when the rhetoric used against those being bashed is especially vitriolic.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:14:43 am by Captain Jack Harkness »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.