Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1090100 times)

Distind

Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #1275 on: November 08, 2012, 06:41:36 pm »
Some one please explain the patriarchy one.

I'm kind of lost at the message and why it is suppose to be asinine.
It's someone dismissing the bit where patriarchy benefits patriarchs at the cost of everyone else. Though admitedly men get it easier, we've got a shot at becoming a patriarch. Much like a genestealer. Only less claws.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1276 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »
Re: Flag

There's this guy down the street known for having pretty much every Republican/Tea Party sign possible in his yard.

Since Obama has been elected, he has a flag upside down at half mast.

This is technically illegal since an SOS signal (which an upside down American flag is) when you're not in distress is, well, illegal.  Much like calling 911 as a prank.

However, I'm not going to be the one to report him.  He's an annoyance, but he isn't harming me, and turning someone in for spite is a pretty bad reason to turn someone in.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #1277 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »
Some one please explain the patriarchy one.

I'm kind of lost at the message and why it is suppose to be asinine.
It's someone dismissing the bit where patriarchy benefits patriarchs at the cost of everyone else. Though admitedly men get it easier, we've got a shot at becoming a patriarch. Much like a genestealer. Only less claws.

Everyone has a shot. Men might have an easier shot, but unless they were born into the wealthiest 1%, they have a very slim chance.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Saturn500

« Reply #1278 on: November 08, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
The only way I can think of in which patriarchy hurts men is that it keeps them in a perpetual "spoiled brat" state. And that's only in blatant patriarchy.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1279 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »
The only way I can think of in which patriarchy hurts men is that it keeps them in a perpetual "spoiled brat" state. And that's only in blatant patriarchy.

I'll be sure to let all of the homosexual, metrosexual, and non-macho men know that they're actually benefitting from a patriarchy in which men are supposed to be straight, macho, and tough.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #1280 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:24 pm »

Our culture has a fairly narrow definition of manliness. If, for any reason, you don't exactly fit that mold, especially when you're a kid...well, it isn't fun. I say this as a straight guy who had no aptitude for sports and enjoyed singing & reading while he was growing up. My favorite childhood insult is "I'd kick you ass, but my foot would get stuck because you take it so much". I didn't even get it at the time (I was ten...then again, so was the dude saying it to me) but in retrospect, it's fucking hilarious in its idiocy.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Saturn500

« Reply #1281 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43:04 pm »

I'll be sure to let all of the homosexual, metrosexual, and non-macho men know that they're actually benefitting from a patriarchy in which men are supposed to be straight, macho, and tough.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #1282 on: November 08, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »

We don't live in blatant patriarchy.

Men who are seen as tough are also seen as dangerous especially if they are black or latino
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:14:11 pm by Cataclysm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #1283 on: November 08, 2012, 10:17:35 pm »
Then we are bringing race into the equation.

For such a thought experiment, I say we "observe" different degrees of patriarchy and all other things being equal.

Saturn500

« Reply #1284 on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »

We don't live in blatant patriarchy.

Correct.

In blatant patriarchy, you'd be forgiven for thinking you've stepped into Stepford.

Of course, as Zachski pointed out, I somehow managed to forget about men who aren't "straight, macho, and tough", despite only being the first one of those, so I guess today may just be an off day for my brain.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1285 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:35 pm »
No ill feeling meant by the sarcasm, by the way :D

Hell, sometimes it slips past my mind.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #1286 on: November 09, 2012, 09:01:13 am »
There are also certain societal mores, like "being gentlemanly", that disfavor men. And let me bring up the child custody issue.
It is debatable whether these are an inherent aspect of patriarchy or a compensation element built into our society.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1287 on: November 09, 2012, 09:22:01 am »
Patriarchal as those are an effect of gender roles assigned by men

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #1288 on: November 10, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
Not sure if this one has been posted before since I haven't read through the entire thread, but enjoy:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:10:34 pm by ScrappyB »
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1289 on: November 10, 2012, 03:07:58 pm »
The King bumper sticker is amazing.

Ironbite-but he's not racist right?