Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1102818 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #1365 on: November 27, 2012, 11:52:15 am »
I always tip well unless the service sucks.  I tip EXTRA if the meal was particularly awesome.  I had a sandwich like that in the Pittsburgh airport, once.

Tipping is always a good idea. If it's someplace you go a lot, tipping a lot is a good idea. I've worked in restaurants long enough to know servers remember two classes of people: those who tip big and those who don't tip.

Tipping extra because the food is awesome, I never understood that. Your waiter isn't cooking the food.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #1366 on: November 27, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »
IMO tipping is mandatory no matter what involving waiters since otherwise they starve (that is why they make under min wage)

1.  I do believe that if they don't get tipped enough that the employer is required to make up the difference so that it meets minimum wage.  Of course, if they're constantly getting shitty tips, then that may say something about how they're performing their job.

2.  If you're going to subscribe to this policy, you should at least keep in mind the level of service.

The other day I ate with my girlfriend at Perkins.  Other than getting our order, our waitress didn't check up on us a single time.  Hell, she didn't even have the courtesy to bring out the Tabasco sauce I requested.  She had to have someone else bring it.  It's not like the restaurant was packed and understaffed, either. There were at least a few waiters and the restaurant wasn't packed.  She was just a shitty waitress.

Edit:  Here's proof that even poorly tipped employees must meet minimum wage.  That is, if they still don't meet normal minimum wage requirements after tips, then the employer has to make up the difference.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Of course, if they're consistently getting shitty tips, I do think it reflects on their performance.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:22:29 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #1367 on: November 27, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
I always tip, regardless of the service. Then again, the only time I've seen truly abysmal service was when I wasn't paying, so his tip wasn't up to me.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #1368 on: November 27, 2012, 04:57:14 pm »
Tipping is bullshit and should be banned. Pay your employees properly in the first damn place- one of the things I'm properly proud of my country about is a lack of bullshit dehumanizing tipping nonsense.

Plus, if I wanted to see that much cleavage, every-single-Vancouver-restaurant-waitress, I'd go to a strip joint.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #1369 on: November 27, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
I always tip well unless the service sucks.  I tip EXTRA if the meal was particularly awesome.  I had a sandwich like that in the Pittsburgh airport, once.

Tipping is always a good idea. If it's someplace you go a lot, tipping a lot is a good idea. I've worked in restaurants long enough to know servers remember two classes of people: those who tip big and those who don't tip.

Tipping extra because the food is awesome, I never understood that. Your waiter isn't cooking the food.

The reason I tip for awesome food is because I automatically assume that the tips go into a pool and it's split between all of the employees.  I've been to enough eateries that do that that it's habit.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #1370 on: November 27, 2012, 06:32:45 pm »
I always tip more (like 35% rather than 20%) because I like being polite.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1371 on: November 27, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »
My brother worked at P.F. Chang's for a summer while I was in high school, and he said it was easily the shittiest job out there, and tips were a big part of that.  Ya see, they wouldn't let you keep the tips, you had to give them to your manager or be fired for "stealing." (How you steal something that was likely meant to be given specifically to you is beyond me, but there ya go.)  They'd divvy the tips up equally, after the management took about a third of it for themselves.

Honestly, that's not the point of tips.  If you're a good server, you should get better tips, you should keep your tips, and maybe log them with the place you're workin at, if such a thing is feasible.  Good employees deserve to be paid more than bad ones, skimming off the top of their hard-earned money, and then insulting your good waiters by paying them as much as the fuckholes who don't give two shits about customer service is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Also, tips shouldn't excuse your employers from paying at least minimum wage, ever.  Minimum wage is minimum fucking wage, and it should be the absolute lowest you'll ever be paid, no matter the employer or industry you work for.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #1372 on: November 27, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
My brother worked at P.F. Chang's for a summer while I was in high school, and he said it was easily the shittiest job out there, and tips were a big part of that.  Ya see, they wouldn't let you keep the tips, you had to give them to your manager or be fired for "stealing." (How you steal something that was likely meant to be given specifically to you is beyond me, but there ya go.)  They'd divvy the tips up equally, after the management took about a third of it for themselves.

Honestly, that's not the point of tips.  If you're a good server, you should get better tips, you should keep your tips, and maybe log them with the place you're workin at, if such a thing is feasible.  Good employees deserve to be paid more than bad ones, skimming off the top of their hard-earned money, and then insulting your good waiters by paying them as much as the fuckholes who don't give two shits about customer service is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Also, tips shouldn't excuse your employers from paying at least minimum wage, ever.  Minimum wage is minimum fucking wage, and it should be the absolute lowest you'll ever be paid, no matter the employer or industry you work for.
Coldstone had us write down the tips we made so they could be taxed. Take a wild guess at how honest that setup is.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1373 on: November 27, 2012, 07:42:17 pm »
Coldstone had us write down the tips we made so they could be taxed. Take a wild guess at how honest that setup is.

HA!  Tis why I said, "if feasible."  I know people will always lie about that shit; either they'll record their tips as smaller than what they got to avoid taxes, or record em higher so their dick looks bigger...or somethin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #1374 on: November 27, 2012, 07:57:22 pm »

As I mentioned before, if an employee doesn't make enough in tips to meet minimum wage requirements, the employer is REQUIRED to make up the difference.  Although I do admit that any employer that has to make up this difference is likely to do what they can to fire an employee who's coming as soon as they can.  At the very least, they'll give the person a warning.

Edit:  Here's proof that even poorly tipped employees must meet minimum wage.  That is, if they still don't meet normal minimum wage requirements after tips, then the employer has to make up the difference.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Of course, if they're consistently getting shitty tips, I do think it reflects on their performance.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:00:46 pm by B-Man »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #1375 on: November 27, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »

The reason I tip for awesome food is because I automatically assume that the tips go into a pool and it's split between all of the employees.  I've been to enough eateries that do that that it's habit.

I worked at a place that didn't.  Each individual server kept every tip that that server picked up.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #1376 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:26 am »
Tipping is bullshit and should be banned. Pay your employees properly in the first damn place- one of the things I'm properly proud of my country about is a lack of bullshit dehumanizing tipping nonsense.

Plus, if I wanted to see that much cleavage, every-single-Vancouver-restaurant-waitress, I'd go to a strip joint.

Well then, quit bullshitting and become Supreme Benevolent Leader already.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1377 on: November 28, 2012, 02:38:07 pm »

But he's not an hyper-intelligent immortal AI programmed with nothing but altruism.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #1378 on: November 28, 2012, 03:56:36 pm »

But he's not an hyper-intelligent immortal AI programmed with nothing but altruism.

No, but he does know better than us.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1379 on: November 28, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

No, but he does know better than us.

But he's not immortal.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying