Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1090519 times)

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #240 on: April 13, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »
Isn't genetically modified food just a sped-up version of selective breeding?

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:09 pm »
Basically. The bit where it becomes a problem is where you have GMO crops that are genetically modified to have dud seeds, forcing farmers to buy new seeds every year, which is expensive. Also they can mess up weeds, because GMO crops are often resistant to pesticide (which allows farmers to use more, which is bad) and then cross-pollination causes the weeds to also be resistant, which means you have to modify the crops again or use more pesticide. That's when it's bad.

Good things: rice that has Vitamin A and other nutrients so that people can have nutritious food in poor countries, crops that yield more which means more food for everyone, vaccinations in the form of food, and all other sorts of things. The idea of "frankenfood" is bullshit - however, GMO crops have upsides and downsides.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »
Another problem is that the GMO crops can become too homogenized, which makes them an easy target for an advanced pest or biological weapon.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2012, 12:41:58 am »
Yeah, the genetic weakness is a major problem for GM food. (But then again, the same thing can be said about maize since it can't seed itself without intervention.) It's why you need to develop heterogeneous kinds of crops. But it's absurd that people want to ban them for largely unscientific reason.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2012, 04:15:21 am »
GM food is hardly without its issues. Unfortunately, the issues that anti-GM activists whine about are not the issues that actually exist.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2012, 09:26:22 am »
GM food is hardly without its issues. Unfortunately, the issues that anti-GM activists whine about are not the issues that actually exist.
Well, the real issues are something that can be worked with and planned around, thus keeping GM foods on the market. We can't have that!  ::)

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:32 pm »
I don't really have a problem with people knowing whether or not the food they eat is genetically modified. My issue is with the bullshit misinformation being spread around, making this sound like creepy "frankenfood" rather than what it really is, and turning "genetically modified" into the equivalent of "toxic death food of doom that will turn your child into a mutant". Simply labeling it isn't giving people the chance to make an informed decision -- it's merely scaring them with the unknown.

But...science is scary!

Also, you're a woman, so, uh...why tha hell aren't you in the kitchen?  [/asshole]
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:40 pm »

Well, anti-GMO sentiment can come from the left or the libertarian/conspiracy theorist right. As far as I'm concerned, since there's no proven health danger from eating GMO food, companies shouldn't be forced to distinguish it from non-GMO crops. They can if they want to, but it's not something that needs to be mandated. If a consumer wants to know for sure, they can do their own research or maybe just ask the company themselves.

A libertarian probably wouldn't want mandates on foods, and would probably say it's the government that is doing it and we should let businesses do what they want. I don't necessarily have a problem with GM crops being labeled.

Shows a lot when SPUSA's platform calls to make GMOs illegal.

Not really. A strawberry is never going to have pig genes no matter how much you breed it.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2012, 12:37:06 am »

Well, anti-GMO sentiment can come from the left or the libertarian/conspiracy theorist right. As far as I'm concerned, since there's no proven health danger from eating GMO food, companies shouldn't be forced to distinguish it from non-GMO crops. They can if they want to, but it's not something that needs to be mandated. If a consumer wants to know for sure, they can do their own research or maybe just ask the company themselves.

A libertarian probably wouldn't want mandates on foods, and would probably say it's the government that is doing it and we should let businesses do what they want. I don't necessarily have a problem with GM crops being labeled.

Shows a lot when SPUSA's platform calls to make GMOs illegal.

Not really. A strawberry is never going to have pig genes no matter how much you breed it.

I have to ask, why the hell does a strawberry need pig genes?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:46 am »
To make it taste like bacon?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:34 am »
You insert a set of genes for a certain property, to give the crops an advantage. If animal X happens to have genes for this property (say, thriving in drought conditions), you splice those with your crops. Think of how the genes from certain types of bacteria have been used to make glowing fish and whatnot -- it's the same thing, but with practical results. It's not like they're making a true plant-pig hybrid (although bacon-flavoured veggies would rule), just using a small number of pig genes.

The actually process is way more complicated than I'm making it sound, but that's the gist.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:18 am »
Wait a minute...glowing fish isn't a practical use of gene modification technology?  Imagine the raves you could have with an aquarium full of those bastards!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2012, 01:52:42 am »
I know Japan has fun with them glowing fish critters.   Trippy!

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #253 on: April 15, 2012, 02:52:55 am »
Wait a minute...glowing fish isn't a practical use of gene modification technology?  Imagine the raves you could have with an aquarium full of those bastards!

I think tying them on strings and spinning them would be animal cruelty, so there's still a need for regular glowsticks.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #254 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:36 pm »