Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1089707 times)

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2012, 07:18:12 am »
Is that so?

That's the exact ribbon I have on my car. I see nothing conspiracy theory-y about it... And I've had it on my car for who knows how long.

But of course, I'm not really 'up' on my conspiracies anymore these days.

Going by Rational Wiki, the conspiracy theory was at its height in the 80's. There was a time where that black ribbon or flag being flown often meant that the person who had it believed that Americans POWs were still being held in Vietnam. Now, since we've gotten involved in wars again and have normalized relations with Vietnam, it seems that it is drifting toward a more general meaning.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:51 am »
Yeah, that's the conspiracy theory sticker.

The funny part is that there are a lot more MIA soldiers from WW2 than 'Nam, Where are the Germans and Japanese hiding them?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2012, 10:22:30 am »

The funny part is that there are a lot more MIA soldiers from WW2 than 'Nam, Where are the Germans and Japanese hiding them?

As Kit mentioned, it's drifted back to a more general meaning, as in support for those who were POW and MIA.

The whole thing originally stemmed from the fact that Vietnam was the most brutal war and different war that we had fought.  It was in a terrain that we had almost no way to train for and was against people who were literally willing to do anything to win.  That doesn't even take into account the fact that many of those people saw us as interlopers trying to take their homes.

It was also the first conflict that we, as a country, could point to as a clear loss.  Therefore, many people believed that we left quite a few people behind to rot in POW camps.  My dad was in Nam, so he got pretty into the movement in the 80s.  He did admit that there was a large amount of conspiracy theory behind it, but he also said that you couldn't rule out the fact that there may be people still there.  Also, it was pretty huge with biker culture.  We used to go to bike and skydiving rallies and there was almost always a POW speaker (or at least major presence) and literature.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »
It was also the first conflict that we, as a country, could point to as a clear loss.

War of 1812.  Not only did the British burn down the presidential mansion, we also managed nothing more than a restoration of the status quo ante bellum.  We did not win that war.  You'll notice that history classes love to play up the Battle of New Orleans, which, despite being an awesome battle with a funny song written about it, had no effect on the outcome of the war, since it was fought AFTER the treaty was signed, but before the generals involved got the news.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #289 on: April 18, 2012, 08:12:13 pm »
Quote from: Bezron link=topic=20.msg49809#msg49809 date=1334758950 It was also the first conflict that we, as a country, could point to as a clear loss. [/quote

Some Americans regard the civil war as a loss /offtopic.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:10 pm »

I still don't see how since we damn well know we have POWs and MIAs in the middle east... But okay. Maybe if it had been in another time and place, I would see where the whole thing is coming from. Also, the ribbon thing is kinda newer than the conspiracy itself.

Dammit this is exactly why I said I didn't want to get into the politics of it. >_>

Here, on-topic:

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
Here, on-topic:

Awwww.... it's so cute when they do that.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »
Maybe if it had been in another time and place, I would see where the whole thing is coming from.

Basically this. It is about prior context. That is all.
-A Pen Name

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2012, 10:23:10 pm »
It was also the first conflict that we, as a country, could point to as a clear loss.

War of 1812.  Not only did the British burn down the presidential mansion, we also managed nothing more than a restoration of the status quo ante bellum.  We did not win that war.  You'll notice that history classes love to play up the Battle of New Orleans, which, despite being an awesome battle with a funny song written about it, had no effect on the outcome of the war, since it was fought AFTER the treaty was signed, but before the generals involved got the news.

This. People also forget that initially, the US tried to invade Canada and failed. But it's sugared so we don't look like the aggressor (that isn't to say the British wasn't also doing wrong by kidnapping our sailor, but that it's a lot grayer than people think.)
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2012, 10:33:47 pm »

This. People also forget that initially, the US tried to invade Canada and failed. But it's sugared so we don't look like the aggressor (that isn't to say the British wasn't also doing wrong by kidnapping our sailor, but that it's a lot grayer than people think.)

The Canadian kids I know totally like to rub in my face that they burned down the White House, but neglect to mention the fact that they were only doing it because they were Britain's bitch at the time.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2012, 10:48:59 pm »
But we acted as their bitch in the single most awesome way we possibly could.

Say, that's a lovely new White House you have there. Would be a shame if something happened to it... again.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2012, 12:05:10 am »
Come now children, the war is over.  Canucks, go back to your hockey and curling, and you Yanks go back to cleaning your guns.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2012, 12:07:51 am »
Come now children, the war is over.  Canucks, go back to your hockey and curling, and you Yanks go back to cleaning your guns.
But if we clean them we'll need to use them again.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:32 am »
Shhh!