Author Topic: And Net Neutrality is a goner. Frigdammit.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
And Net Neutrality is a goner. Frigdammit.
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:20 am »
Article here for reference:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/14/net-neutrality_n_4597831.html

I'm... displeased, to put it nicely.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: And Net Neutrality is a goner. Frigdammit.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:56:09 am »
So if I understand this correctly, the elimination of net neutrality basically gives ISP's increased/complete control over what we do on the Internet.   Fglfskdflds.

On a related note, it would be interesting to see said ISPs using a "We're not restrictive like our bastard competitors." as a selling point for their service.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 03:59:55 am »
Was ging to say, it's up to the consumer to keep net nutrality now.  They need to make the IPS see that screwing with it is bad for business.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 04:13:35 am »
Was ging to say, it's up to the consumer to keep net nutrality now.  They need to make the IPS see that screwing with it is bad for business.

Of late, all I can think of is the line from Fight Club:  "We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us."
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:14 am »
It's not dead.  Just the old rules under which it was enforced are.  All the FCC needs to do is reclassify how they consider an ISP.

Ironbite-that's all.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:29 pm »
And what's the over-under on the FCC not getting fucked with by the corporations and lobbyists and politicos to the point where they just ignore it, Ibby? 7:3?

Formerly Priestling

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:11:48 pm »
FCC doesn't actually need congressional approval to do shit there buddy.

Ironbite-it's it's own body.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:16 pm »
Ah, thank fuck.  I was worried there'd be SOME asshole who'd basically pipe up with "We don't have to abide by your regulations because of X, Y and Z."

Formerly Priestling

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

The problem is that the Internet infrastructure in the US is trash. Most areas only have one or two shitty options and even then, the ISPs are more coexisting than competing. They make more money by basically co-operating than they would by competing, which means that there's no competition to make them provide better services for better prices. Instead, we have comparatively low speeds for higher prices than places with better infrastructure because the ISPs don't have to provide better services or better prices because they don't actually compete.

That said, if anyone falls for the ISPs' claims that they won't take advantage of the death of net neutrality, they're lying to themselves. If they didn't need it enforced, why would they spend so much money fighting it?
Who needs a signature?

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:35:22 pm »
Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but what effects could this have for the average net user?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »
Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but what effects could this have for the average net user?

Imagine your ISP throttling Netflix and Hulu.  Or Youtube.  Or your internet gaming.  Now imagine you're trying to do those same things on dial-up or shitty DSL speeds because your ISP doesn't like or prefer those services over, say, the uber-sports package on their OWN cable streaming service.  Oh, and you might well be charged extra to use things like Youtube.  Or having to upgrade your internet package just so you can play your games at slightly less than the speed of 'because fuck you, that's why'.

Formerly Priestling

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »
Did I say something wrong?

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 07:18:15 pm »
I swear, we are becoming more and more like a cross between '1984' and Ferenginar each day. I am beginning to wonder if some conspiracy theories are on point.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
Anti-net neutrality bills are shitty, but I'm not sure they're quite on par with 1984 and the like. Ferenginar is a fair (and creator-intended, mind you) comparison, though.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
Anti-net neutrality bills are shitty, but I'm not sure they're quite on par with 1984 and the like. Ferenginar is a fair (and creator-intended, mind you) comparison, though.

True... the person that created that race made it an apt parody of unrestrained capitalism. I wonder what he would think now about this kind of stuff.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman