Author Topic: Satanists Plan Rally For Rick Scott  (Read 1724 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Satanists Plan Rally For Rick Scott
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:10:42 am »
Florida Governor Rick Scott, who suffers dismal approval ratings, has at least garnered favor with one unlikely group -- Satanists.

On January 25, the members of the Satanic Temple will gather on the steps of Scott's office in Tallahassee as a show of solidarity with the Governor, whom they believe "has shown unwavering fortitude and progressive resolve in his defense of religious liberty," according to a press release.

Specifically, they're referring to Scott's recent approval of Senate Bill 98 that permits school districts to allow students to read inspirational messages of their choosing at assemblies and sporting events. It went into effect on July 12.

"The Satanic Temple embraces the free expression of religion, and Satanists are happy to show their support of Rick Scott who -- particularly with SB 98 -- has reaffirmed our American freedom to practice our faith openly, allowing our Satanic children the freedom to pray in school," the release continues.

The bill dictates that school officials are not permitted to mediate, approve, or participate in these "inspirational messages," which expand upon the two minutes of silence for quiet prayer or mediation previously observed in Florida public schools.

Although the word "prayer" was axed from early drafts of the bill, the legislation was largely seen as a way to sneak religion back into schools.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/satanists-rally-for-rick-scott_n_2471328.html

I'm laughing my ass off about this, particularly the last sentence in the section I quote. It's always nice to see stereotypes shattered and fundies hoisted by their own petards.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Satanists Plan Rally For Rick Scott
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:49:30 am »
I think they are going to cancel SB 98 as quickly as possible.

I also think that while wording the permit they didn't even realise that there are religions other than christianity. They usually put them in the cult/blasphemy/heresy category and don't think they count.

And wasn't there a similar case where Wiccans began to take advantage of a law like this?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:20:00 am »
Haha!

Seriously, I liked that bill. I think that's doing it right. It doesn't have to be where everything is cut out to be fair. If everyone (all spiritual beliefs) is invited, that is just as good I think.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:25 pm »
I like this bill. After all, nothing stops a student from reading a nonreligious inspirational message.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:18:18 pm »
Or making some up come test day.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 02:52:46 pm »
Luv those adoreable, deliciously devious Satanists. Magnificent mockers, they are!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:38 pm »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:18:39 am »
While I enjoy the trolling the Satanists are embarking on, they are failing to realize one small aspect.

If / when the bill passes and is actually used, the fact that most schools have 80% plus christian student demographics means that this will almost exclusively be used to bring religion back into school. While there are schools where some Muslim or Satanist can get up provide an inspirational speech, I am reasonably certain that most schools have probably around 100% christian populations and would almost exclusively be used to bring in bible readings and religion into those schools.

I dislike things like this. Government should not be legislating schools like this.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 09:31:17 am »
This bill was created by christian fundies to support their religion* so the best way to make them back away is to let them see how the bill would actually work. And having satanists/wiccans/muslims/etc. making speeches in 100% christian schools is a good way to do that. And the way this was written they would not have any way to stop them.

*Remember when I said that they thought only christianity counts as a religion? When I went to read the comments of this article I did see that exact argument coming up all the time. (SATAN IS THE OPPOSITE OF GOD SO SATANISM IS THE OPPOSITE OF RELIGION! WHARGARGARBL!)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:54:51 am »
And an update in the original link says that the whole thing is part of a mockumentary. Ah, well. Hopefully it will still have the desired effect.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:00:04 am »
And an update in the original link says that the whole thing is part of a mockumentary. Ah, well. Hopefully it will still have the desired effect.

;D That just adds spice to the awesomesauce. The fundies will have no clue - the mocku-camera crew will be hidden in the open within a sea of news cams and civvie cams, anyway.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.