Author Topic: Superior Court Judge crazier than Todd Akin.  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Superior Court Judge crazier than Todd Akin.
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:50:49 am »
This is an old story but I found the link today and apparently his comment didn't become public untill last year.

When sentencing a rapist to six years instead of 16, Superior Court Judge Derek Johnson questioned the legitimacy of the rape, noting when “someone doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down.”

Orange County Superior Court Judge Derek Johnson has been admonished for making “insensitive” comments about rape during the sentencing of a defendant more than four years ago, a state oversight committee announced Thursday.

Although Johnson made the comments in June 2008, the Commission on Judicial Performance did not become aware of them until May of this year.

As Johnson was sentencing a convicted rapist to six years in prison instead of 16 years as a prosecutor requested, the judge said: “I’m not a gynecologist, but I can tell you something — if someone doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage is inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case. That tells me that the victim in this case, although she wasn’t necessarily willing, she didn’t put up a fight. And to treat this case like the rape cases that we all hear about is an insult to victims of rape. I think it’s an insult. I think it trivializes a rape.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/judge-derek-johnsons-rape_n_2297379.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/12/judge-who-said-rape-victim-didnt-put-up-a-fight-later-apologized.html

It was brought up to prove that Rebublicans aren't the only ones who make stupid comments about rape, claiming that this judge is a democrat. I haven't found out about his party yet since even his wikipedia page only references this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Johnson_%28U.S._Judge%29

Is there a way to fire anyone from the supreme court? Don't they have some sort of standards and qualifications they must fulfill before they can make these important decisions? I mean the claim that if the victim didn't put up a fight (or in exterme cases, didn't put up enough of a fight) and therefore what happened isn't "rape" is not new but this is an all time low.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Superior Court Judge crazier than Todd Akin.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:53 am »
It is possible to get rid of judges from federal courts by impeachment by the House (majority vote) and conviction by the Senate (two-thirds majority, Vice-President presides).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:15 am »
"I’m not a gynecologist..."

And I disagree that this judge is crazier than Todd Akin. I would say equally crazy but in a more powerful position, which makes him more frightening.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:17 am »
And I disagree that this judge is crazier than Todd Akin. I would say equally crazy but in a more powerful position, which makes him more frightening.

Based on Akin's initial comment ho does believe that a woman can be raped, even if he did claim that rape-pregnancies are impossible. Johnson's claim would have logically meant that every woman could protect themselves from being raped if they wish so, with that logic there would be NO rapes at all.

Both did try to backpedal though.

And the thing that really scares me is that Johnson has been the judge in who knows how many rape cases and if he has always held this opinion then he has been letting rapists get off before.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:43 pm »
I'm trying to imagine the kind of physical strength this judge deems a woman capable of in fending off a rape; or, is he under the impression that we have the ability to reflexively slam shut the pelvic opening, like there is some kinda weird hinge joint in there? Even if we were mutated enough to do that, would the bruising and tears to the flesh outside not count? I wonder if he thinks that anal rape on men is impossible, too, since apparantly this judge has a mutated ass joint that has been slammed shut all his life...
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:03 pm »
...since apparantly this judge has a mutated ass joint that has been slammed shut all his life...

...And that is why shit like this is coming out of his mouth.

Judging by his comment on how:

if someone doesn’t want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage is inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case. That tells me that the victim in this case, although she wasn’t necessarily willing, she didn’t put up a fight.

He really seems to think women are able to close their vagina like a door or something.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »
Do these people have no grasp on human biology at all?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »
"Insensitive" comments about rape? That's one word for it, how about skullfuckingly insane?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:55 am »

Given the horror stories I have heard about the American education system especially concerning education with regards to sexual reproduction, I am inclined to say that honestly they don't understand human biology.

I feel your pain with regards to this judge though. Our illustrious womanizing homophobic president elected to the head of the constitutional court a judge who claims to hear the voice of god, and who has in previous cases sent a man who raped another man away for longer on the grounds that the rape caused the male victim to become feminized and thus more traumatic, all the while giving male on female rapists lighter sentences.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:59 am »
Remind me again how people like this are in positions of power?

Given the horror stories I have heard about the American education system especially concerning education with regards to sexual reproduction, I am inclined to say that honestly they don't understand human biology.

I feel your pain with regards to this judge though. Our illustrious womanizing homophobic president elected to the head of the constitutional court a judge who claims to hear the voice of god, and who has in previous cases sent a man who raped another man away for longer on the grounds that the rape caused the male victim to become feminized and thus more traumatic, all the while giving male on female rapists lighter sentences.

Okay, that is FUCKED up.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:51:39 pm »
My favourite part is the bit where he says the victim is trivializing rape. The victim.

Does anyone know the sentence he gave? Presumably a slap on the wrist?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:15:32 pm »
It's in the article.  Six years, rather than sixteen.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا