Author Topic: Something I've been thinking about  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
Something I've been thinking about
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:17:57 am »
Obviously, this won't be happening on this server.

But uh, I've been considering enabling the ability to have a shoutbox in this forum. Just as a way to have a conversation or something of that sort on this forum.

Lots of people use the Chat button to get to the web-server running the chat interface to the IRC, but I'm sure people'd like to have something directly on this site.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Something I've been thinking about
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:37:28 am »
What if it slows the site down tremendously? I would personally prefer to keep all the chat stuff on a separate url...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Keiro Dreamwalker

• An Puisín Faolchú
  • Pope
Re: Something I've been thinking about
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:02 am »
What if it slows the site down tremendously? I would personally prefer to keep all the chat stuff on a separate url...

Valid concern. It's something I've been thinking about as well. The Chat link up there is a good alternative for that rare time (yes, yes, I know, but give me time. The server issues will be resolved as time goes on. Just... give me time. That's all I ask.) where we have a way to give everyone an almost immediate announcement should things blow up, so to speak.

Edit: Just realized I didn't address your concern just now. Herpderp.

Anyways, that said – if not a shoutbox, then something that can be integrated into the site from an offsite location that would allow people to remain on this site and chat amongst others... in fact, I know of a way to do this, but it's with a different forum software, so I'd need time to develop and test it and make sure it works.

That said, though... there are ways of handling this. The servers I'm looking at changing to is significantly more powerful than this one. The new server'll be a Dual CPU Intel Xeon 5506, 48GB ram, 4x 1TB HDDs with hardware raid 10.

This server'll be running a hypervisor that lets me virtualize things and ensure that the server pays for itself. (if you want more details on that... I'd be willing to discuss it elsewhere, but not here as this thread isn't for that.)

I have also been looking at additional alternatives that I plan on discussing with Distind when I have the opportunity to write all of this up... but one thing's certain: I plan on reducing the web-server footprint by switching web-servers for FSTDT and others when I set up the server I just gave stats on.

That said, though... it's something that I've had tinkering about in the back of my mind while I dealt with things. I wanted input from everyone, not just the moderation team, but everyone because my job is more or less to keep this site up and running, and add/remove features that people want to have on this forum.

And I've nattered on long enough.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:57:18 am by Keiro Dreamwalker »
You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain!

People so seldom say "I love you". And then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, only that I wish you didn't have to.