Author Topic: Fan Theories You Like  (Read 8773 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Fan Theories You Like
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:51:33 am »
This thread is for people to talk about fan theories they like, whether they're plausible, debatable or completely off the rails.

Obi-Wan is shown in the original Star Wars trilogy to be ruthless and manipulative in pursuit of "the greater good". When he first tries to get Luke to join him in rescuing Princess Leia and Luke refuses, Obi-Wan gives a very passive-aggressive "You must do what you feel is right, of course."

Later, when they find the destroyed sandcrawler, Obi-Wan tries to stop Luke from going to check on his family, saying it was too dangerous.

In "The Empire Strikes Back", Luke shows that even a relatively untrained and inexperienced Force user could transmit a telepathic message across vast distances, at least upon the same planet.

SO...what if Obi-Wan actually used his Force powers to give the stormtroopers a nudge toward Luke's farmstead, cutting off all his connections to his old life (as would have been expected if Luke had been able to undergo traditional training at the Jedi Temple, though hopefully without the murder) and leaving him little choice but to go with Obi-Wan?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Fan Theories You Like
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:13:01 pm »
Personally, I like the theory that the Joker in his Dark Knight Saga incarnation is ex-military.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:03:36 pm »
The Three-eyed Crow is evil and he needs an evil apprentice. He duped Bran and Jojen into thinking he's a good guy, but he lured Bran to the tower knowing he would be pushed off.

(click to show/hide)
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »
The Three-eyed Crow is evil and he needs an evil apprentice. He duped Bran and Jojen into thinking he's a good guy, but he lured Bran to the tower knowing he would be pushed off.

(click to show/hide)

Heard that one before, not sure if I believe it.

(click to show/hide)

While we're talking ASoIaF,

(click to show/hide)
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »
What thing are you two even talking about?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:26 pm »
What thing are you two even talking about?

A Song of Ice And Fire by George R. R. Martin.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:19:50 pm »
Oh, that thing.

The thing that should interest me and yet I can't give a flying fuck about.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »
Thus proving that you have no literary soul and must be banished to the outer darkness for all time.

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:05:21 pm »
Thus proving that you have no literary soul and must be banished to the outer darkness for all time.

I have a literary soul alright.  Song of Fire and Ice just doesn't have any hook that interests me.  It's basically a bleak world with bad things happening to everyone and just about everybody is terrible, except for like... three characters.  Why should I care about anything?  Yeah it's got dragons in it, but it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than dragons to get me interested in something.

To quote a trope, A Song of Fire and Ice has the problem of Darkness Induced Audience Apathy.  At least for me.

Also, I don't like it when authors have an agenda.  Martin's agenda is basically "Write a book where no one is sacred and even the main character can die in the very first book."  It's kinda like how Golden Compass was written with an agenda, too.

Incidentally, I realize that you weren't being serious.  I'm just in a bitchy mood.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
Super Mario Bros 3's boat level ( World 8 ) has an ocean made of blood.

(Vidya speculation can go in here, right?)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:26:31 pm »
I don't see why not.

Also, the water is made of blood because World 8 is hell.  </adding theory>

Offline R. U. Sirius

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:39:03 pm »

I have a literary soul alright.  Song of Fire and Ice just doesn't have any hook that interests me.  It's basically a bleak world with bad things happening to everyone and just about everybody is terrible, except for like... three characters.  Why should I care about anything?  Yeah it's got dragons in it, but it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than dragons to get me interested in something.

To quote a trope, A Song of Fire and Ice has the problem of Darkness Induced Audience Apathy.  At least for me.

Also, I don't like it when authors have an agenda.  Martin's agenda is basically "Write a book where no one is sacred and even the main character can die in the very first book."  It's kinda like how Golden Compass was written with an agenda, too.

Incidentally, I realize that you weren't being serious.  I'm just in a bitchy mood.

I find it just the opposite. Too much of literature lacks any real suspense because you know that, somehow, everything will work out alright in the end. The villains will be punished, the heroes will be rewarded and everyone goes home happy. I find "A Song of Ice and Fire" fascinating because there are no guarantees. The plot rambles a bit because he focuses on realism in equal measure to the arc of the story, and part of the realism is that very, very few people are cut-and-dried good or evil. Even those who act in monstrous ways almost always have people who love them and reasons that makes sense, even if only looked at from their point of view, whether that reason is childhood torture, insanity brought on by incestuous bloodlines or just trying to make your way in a world where you're a misfit and an outcast.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 12:07:32 am »
Really?  Because from what I've noticed, moral ambiguity has been a major trend lately.  So it doesn't really feel innovative.

And honestly, if I'm reading a book, it's to escape reality.  So too much realism just depresses me.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:43:42 am »
So I am not the only person who wanted to get into A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thones only to find myself bored as early as the first few chapters first book, thus, it's not for me. Go figure.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:09 am »
On the off chance anyone has read the Kingkiller Chronicle:

(click to show/hide)
Σא