Author Topic: Milo defends pederasty gets booted from CPAC  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Milo defends pederasty gets booted from CPAC
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:40 am »
Normally, I'd advise not jumping to conclusions, especially after the WSJ smeared PewDiePie as an anti-Semite. But I gotta say, it looks pretty bad.
Because of this?

But thank you for your wise counsel about not 'jumping to conclusions' when people say what they actually think. I'll prudently wait for mind-reading technology to emerge so I have one hundred percent absolute proof that they were just lol joek kiddingz when they say "death to all X"

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 11:37:17 am »
Calling him an anti-semite is a stretch. He is just a hack who tries to create edgy humour without the talent and effort required to make it work. The result is anti-semitic but it is not clear evidence that he as a person is.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/17/14637642/pewdiepie-south-park-anti-semitic-jokes

Meh, I kinda think that thinking it's okay to scream racial slurs for the sake of being edgy and getting attention is still racist since it seems to carry a disregard for the feelings of those who are different from yourself. 

Note, I'm drawing a distinction between that and what Stephen Colbert did.  Making a satirical point about bigoted people is fine and good but just being an edgelord isn't.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 04:33:31 pm »
Normally, I'd advise not jumping to conclusions, especially after the WSJ smeared PewDiePie as an anti-Semite. But I gotta say, it looks pretty bad.
Because of this?

But thank you for your wise counsel about not 'jumping to conclusions' when people say what they actually think. I'll prudently wait for mind-reading technology to emerge so I have one hundred percent absolute proof that they were just lol joek kiddingz when they say "death to all X"

I've actually seen the video in question to verify the claims made about it. He was shocked when they actually did it and apologized. When you have something better than an out-of-context screenshot, show it to me.

And screw the WSJ for making me watch PewDiePie.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 05:46:02 pm »
Calling him an anti-semite is a stretch. He is just a hack who tries to create edgy humour without the talent and effort required to make it work. The result is anti-semitic but it is not clear evidence that he as a person is.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/17/14637642/pewdiepie-south-park-anti-semitic-jokes

Meh, I kinda think that thinking it's okay to scream racial slurs for the sake of being edgy and getting attention is still racist since it seems to carry a disregard for the feelings of those who are different from yourself. 

Note, I'm drawing a distinction between that and what Stephen Colbert did.  Making a satirical point about bigoted people is fine and good but just being an edgelord isn't.

If I've understood correctly Pewdiepie tried to make a humorous video about how far people are prepared to go for money. When these people are non-whites living in poor countries this already has racist dimension. The message he used was also undeniably antisemitic. He did have a point under that edginess but he is just too moronic and talentless to make it without making the act both racist and antisemitic.

This makes him a moron and an asshole but not necessarily a racist as a person. If he truly does not understand the consequences of his action it is worth making this distinction between the person and the act. On the other hand, anyone who knowingly and being aware of the nuances does a racist act can be judged as a racist no matter what his personal opinions are otherwise like you suggest. It just seems to me it's much more likely Pewdiepie falls to the former category.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 07:17:35 pm »
Because of this?

Careful Tol or you will resurrect the 'Die cis scum' debate.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 10:50:39 pm »
Because of this?

I've actually seen the video in question to verify the claims made about it. He was shocked when they actually did it and apologized. When you have something better than an out-of-context screenshot, show it to me.

Oh yeah *context*, call Disney. It's all ok, there was context for him paying a couple of dudes to wave that sign around while he laughed hysterically contextually. Forgive me for missing the many discrete layers of meaning in "Death to Jews".

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 10:22:30 am »
Because of this?

Oh yeah *context*, call Disney. It's all ok, there was context for him paying a couple of dudes to wave that sign around while he laughed hysterically contextually. Forgive me for missing the many discrete layers of meaning in "Death to Jews".

Have you watched the video? The context is that he found some channel or whatever that would do a video based on your request for $5. Pewds looked at that and said "Surely they've got to have some limit. I'll see how far I can push this." He offered them money to hold up a sign with an anti-Semitic slogan, and then when they sent the vid his reaction was along the lines of ".....dear God....they actually did it......"
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 03:45:07 pm »
So a moron and an anti-semite then.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 04:45:54 pm »
Moron who used racist and antisemitic material to construct an act without the understanding of how to do it without making the act as a whole antisemitic and racist.

I think the more constructive way to discuss this is to point out the antisemitic nature of the act which is undeniable and avoid getting bogged down in the debate about whether Pewdiepie himself is an antisemite. That part can be debated endlessly and just distracts attention from the important part since actions are what matter most.

Edited annoying preposition mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:37:28 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 06:07:05 pm »
Because of this?

Have you watched the video? The context is that he found some channel or whatever that would do a video based on your request for $5. Pewds looked at that and said "Surely they've got to have some limit. I'll see how far I can push this." He offered them money to hold up a sign with an anti-Semitic slogan, and then when they sent the vid his reaction was along the lines of ".....dear God....they actually did it......"
Hey Lana, I found a website for a local Pizza joint, they advertised for a few bucks extra you could have even more toppings so I ordered a pizza with the lot. To my absolute shock a bloke showed up and my door with a really thick pizza with everything on it.

Dear God, they actually did it.

Not bad pizza though.

pyro

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
If the pizza didn't crush the bike, you didn't order enough toppings.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 08:24:25 pm »
Because of this?

I dunno, in the video he seems pretty amused by it, although that could have just been a shock laugh.  I don't believe that Pewdiepie is truly an anti-semite, but even in context that video doesn't exactly make him look good.  I do agree that in the greater overall context of people insisting he's anti-semitic even though he isn't, to the point that he made jokes about it, that video makes a little more sense, but you can't expect everybody to be that educated about Pewdiepie lore.
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 09:35:41 pm »
If the pizza didn't crush the bike, you didn't order enough toppings.

The hell backwater do you live in where pizza still comes by bike?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 09:38:59 pm »
I dunno, in the video he seems pretty amused by it, although that could have just been a shock laugh.  I don't believe that Pewdiepie is truly an anti-semite, but even in context that video doesn't exactly make him look good.  I do agree that in the greater overall context of people insisting he's anti-semitic even though he isn't, to the point that he made jokes about it, that video makes a little more sense, but you can't expect everybody to be that educated about Pewdiepie lore.
Here's the thing, it's no more important if Pewdie's actually an anti semite or not than whether Milo's actually pro pederasty or not. Here's what Milo had to say about his recent debacle.

"My own experiences as a victim led me to believe I could say anything I wanted to on this subject, no matter how outrageous. But I understand that my usual blend of British sarcasm, provocation and gallows humor might have come across as flippancy, a lack of care for other victims or, worse, 'advocacy.' I deeply regret that."

Yeah Milo, it's easy to say "I was only kidding" after the fact. I wonder how often that excuse is used in sexual or racial harassment lawsuits. I also wonder if he would have clarified that he was not being serious had he not lost his book deal and his CPAC gig. Guess we'll never know.

See-nobody actually gives a fuck if you're "Just Joking". It's not the get out of jail free card that will save your reputation. Plenty of four channers use that excuse when pumping out Nazi memes, trouble is a casual visitor can't tell the ones who are using it "ironically" from the ones who really want to purge the untersmench from the face of the Earth. Jokes can be just as, if not more offensive than sincere beliefs. The mere fact that you were being ironic or joking won't stop people judging you harshly.

As others have said, punching down "Jokes" that mock other people's pain at best show a complete disregard for those affected if not actual advocacy for bullying or bigotry. They'll still get you called an arsehole and cause people to not want to have anything to do with you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:03:05 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 12:19:09 am »
Because of this?

Hey Lana, I found a website for a local Pizza joint, they advertised for a few bucks extra you could have even more toppings so I ordered a pizza with the lot. To my absolute shock a bloke showed up and my door with a really thick pizza with everything on it.

Dear God, they actually did it.

Not bad pizza though.

/r/madlads
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!