Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 274788 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #960 on: May 23, 2014, 06:53:24 am »
Having recently seen the 2014 Godzilla, I agree with what Katsuro said. None the less, I've enjoyed it but it wasn't as awesome as I wanted it to be...

Same, really.  Although there were a couple of "hero shots" I guess you could call them that did genuinely make me grin with their awesomeness.  And I'm not even a Godzilla fan.  I'm hoping the sequel will have more awesomeness.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #961 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:03 am »
I heard the new Godzilla was too family-oriented and lacking in fight scenes.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #962 on: May 23, 2014, 10:39:48 pm »
The Lego Movie.

Everything is Awesome...

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #963 on: May 24, 2014, 01:00:35 pm »
Monuments Men with George Clooney.  It got bad reviews, but I thought it was a pretty good movie.  Despite Batman and Robin sucking monkey balls, I don't get the hate for George Clooney. 

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #964 on: May 27, 2014, 05:59:53 pm »
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Weirdly small-scale considering the stakes, but certainly a strong film nonetheless. The sequel will apparently have more Quiksilver, which might be a bad thing (this version seems to be a small-doses kinda guy) and more Blink, which is definitely a good thing.

The film also brought back Toad for no explicable reason whatsoever. No, really. I've no idea why Toad would be in this, but there he is.

(click to show/hide)
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #965 on: May 28, 2014, 01:50:19 am »
Machete Kills.  Not nearly as bad as people say it is, but also not nearly as good as the 1st Machete film was.  Also, I think Danny Trejo might have stopped giving a shit; lately he seems about as invested in his roles as Bruce Willis is in his.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #966 on: May 29, 2014, 04:00:10 am »
LEGO movie.

It had some good jokes and some of the bits seemed clever once the actual plot started to make sense, but it didn't seem as good as some of the reviews and comments made it out to be.

I did have a childhood flashback when I saw the astronaut LEGO though. My very first LEGO was something like that, but instead of a large spaceship he just had a tiny moonrover that was the size of those lawnmovers that you can drive (in comparison to the LEGO man.)

And his helmet cracked at some point I think. And his face got smudged out as I played with the set a lot.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #967 on: May 29, 2014, 07:52:00 am »
Star trek: into darkness

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #968 on: May 30, 2014, 02:34:23 am »
Machete Kills.  Not nearly as bad as people say it is, but also not nearly as good as the 1st Machete film was.  Also, I think Danny Trejo might have stopped giving a shit; lately he seems about as invested in his roles as Bruce Willis is in his.

It's Trejo, I know what his logic is:  Paychecks are nice.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #969 on: May 30, 2014, 08:37:17 am »

Yep, seems so.  The last two movies of his that I've seen it felt like he was practically sleep walking his way through them (again, ala Bruce Willis).  I guess he knows he doesn't need to give a fuck anymore: he's Danny Trejo and he knows he'll keep getting work because he's Danny Trejo.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #970 on: May 30, 2014, 07:36:38 pm »

Yep, seems so.  The last two movies of his that I've seen it felt like he was practically sleep walking his way through them (again, ala Bruce Willis).  I guess he knows he doesn't need to give a fuck anymore: he's Danny Trejo and he knows he'll keep getting work because he's Danny Trejo.

Arguably, every movie he's in is improved by his presence.  Sure, he doesn't give a fuck, but he makes whatever he's in entertaining.

Also, as to the topic, I just got back from watching the new X-Men movie.  Days of Future Past was pretty damned good!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #971 on: May 31, 2014, 05:25:20 pm »

From my own experience with him and seeing what he's interested in, the guy isn't exactly an auteur. He has a love for schlock, B-movies, and indie gorefests. Stuff like Machete or Grindhouse (as well as tough Latino thugs) are basically his zone. It helps that these are films where a lack of acting doesn't really get noticed.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #972 on: May 31, 2014, 09:15:04 pm »
My uncle met Trejo a couple times and said he was hilarious, very non-serious and self-deprecating. Basically, he's perfect for those types of roles.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #973 on: May 31, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »
No Country for Old Men, just after I finished reading Blood Meridian. Shell-shocked.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #974 on: June 01, 2014, 12:40:07 am »
Days of Future Past. I was (predictably) annoyed at the time-travel logic, but a fun movie overall.
Σא