Author Topic: Ice-Hockey thread  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Ice-Hockey thread
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:15:17 pm »
So how many hockey fans we got here? I live in Finland so it's a pretty big thing here (in fact, this years IIHF World Championships is being co-hosted here in Helsinki, and Finland won the Gold medal last year)

Out of the NHL teams I follow the Winnipeg Jets and in the Finnish SM-liiga I follow HIFK
One annoying thing living in Europe is I don't get to watch NHL games live that often, as they start at around 3:00-4:30 AM over here, so I'll sometimes watch a game on Saturdays when they start earlier, especially if the Jets are playing.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:20:31 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Ice-Hockey thread
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »
Hockey here! Give me my Red Wings (sue me, I lived in Michigan for 8 months) and let me be.  I don't get to watch it near as much as I'd like, though.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:51:11 pm »
Speaking of the Red Wings, that reminds me of one of my favorite Hockey videos on Youtube, of this massive brawl between the '98 Red Wings and Colorado Avalanche:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOCXfu_mWyY

Also, this I believe they also set a new NHL record this year, 23 consecutive home wins in a row. just one of many of their impressive feats.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:37:48 am »
Flyers fan here, though they rarely show them playing here in FL.  I usually end up watching whatever teams are playing each night, since just about any game is fun to watch. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 07:26:49 am »
Dat feeling when the Jets lose two in a row  :-\ if they're gonna make the playoffs this year, it's gonna be tight.

Can't wait for the Stanley Cup Finals this year though, only managed to stay up for about half a game. got a feeling it's gonna be intense, with Vancouver certainly gunning for the finals. hopefully there will be less riots this time though  :P

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:05:58 am »
I pretty much live and breathe ice hockey, unfortunately the only live games I get to see these days are the KHL streams on their YouTube channel (which are often at very short notice). My NHL loyalty is Nashville, though before that it was the Quebec Nordiques prior to their relocation.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »
The KHL streams games on their youtube channel? I get to see them live on TV here in the afternoon or so over here but thats a real cool thing for them to do. might have to check that out sometime.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 04:51:58 am »
The KHL streams games on their youtube channel? I get to see them live on TV here in the afternoon or so over here but thats a real cool thing for them to do. might have to check that out sometime.

Well, Metallurg v Barys Astana is on later today 1pm GMT (3pm Helsinki), though if the KHL has a TV deal in Finland it may not be available online there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuT4gOWkCE

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:14:57 am »
Livestream has started, working fine here. First goal of the game was pretty sweet, hopefully I can find a Youtube clip of it after the game is over.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:03:04 am »
SKA St.Petersburg are looking scary good right now and put 7 past Atlant yesterday, and the 2nd of those goals has to be seen to be believed starting at about 0:55. Watch the assist from #10 Tikhonov!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBLgOul8QU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBLgOul8QU</a>

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:39 am »
Ha, I would have loved to have been in the arena to watch that game! the Star Wars music was appropriate after that goal :D

Also, this picture from yesterdays Capitals @ Jets game is great:
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:24:17 am by Dakota Bob »

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 04:49:48 am »
More live hockey coming up on Youtube, as the IIHF are streaming World Championship games beginning in about 20 minutes with USA v France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7O_utVCGA

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 08:30:21 am »
I almost forgot the 2012 WW started today, sadly the livestreams on youtube are blocked over here and the games on TV are being played on a channel our house doesn't have. Gonna have to use the crappy quality "alternate" livestreams.

Also, USA hammers France 7-2. Insert "surrender monkey" jokes here.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:01 pm »
If YLE isn't showing it in Finland this year, does that mean no Antero Mertaranta?  :(

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 06:37:19 pm »
Well, I did find a channel I could watch the game on, but it looks like I won't be able to watch ALL of the games on TV, just select ones, which is a shame because I would have definitely preferred to watch Saturday's Canada-USA game on TV. also, sounds like Mertaranta is still doing commentary.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lqba3yl1U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lqba3yl1U</a>