Author Topic: Interest in a Europa Universalis 3 MP Game  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Interest in a Europa Universalis 3 MP Game
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:05 am »
Judging by the Paradox Interactive thread, quite a few people here play Europa Universalis 3. So I thought we might try our own frontal assault against history and do a multiplayer game.

I do in fact have a specific concept for an MP game that I want to try. Here are the rules (which are open to revision):
1. Players must select nations that start with 4 provinces or less (including vassals).
2. Players may not declare war on each other without a Causus Belli (though AI nations are fair game).
3. The game will start in 1399. All settings will be at default, except for Lucky Nations, which will be removed.

The idea is to have multiple minor nations, preferably ones that no longer exist, becoming the dominant powers of the world.

The tentative time for our first game is Wednesday the 12th, starting at 3 pm PST.

IIRC, the max number of players is 24. Each player may claim a nation as they declare interest. As the initiator, I lay claim to the Hansa.

Player List:
Meshakhad - the Hansa
Material Defender - Genoa
MaybeNever - Bavaria
Mira - Sicily
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:05:39 pm by Meshakhad »
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline starseeker

• God
Re: Interest in a Europa Universalis 3 MP Game
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:14 am »
I'm interested but timezones are against me (I'm in GMT).

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:41:56 am »
I am in the CST, and I think I'll windup with Brabant or Holland. I'm not sure what country I'm interested in. Brabant I've made into quite the world power before though without cheating, so that is my likely option.

I r sad no Poland.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:06:41 pm »
I'm interested but timezones are against me (I'm in GMT).
Starseeker, we might still be able to work something out. As I said, I'm flexible, at least next week. Post when you're available.

I'm usually active from 10 AM to 2 AM (PST), which translates to 6 PM to 10 AM GMT. I'm unavailable tomorrow and Sunday (and the next Sunday), and I have an engagement at 12:30 PM on Wednesday. Everything else I can adjust, as long as I can notify my parents a day in advance that I will be busy at X time.

Given how long it takes for time to pass (the highest setting is about 5 minutes/year), I think we should schedule a larger chunk of time, particularly for the first sessions. I was thinking 2-3 hours at least, although I'd love to go for longer.

It would also be a good idea for us to coordinate on Skype, especially during games.

Finally, is anyone inclined to share plans so we can avoid butting heads from the start?

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 01:24:49 pm »
I think coordination and skype would be good. I'd be best off Wendsday next week and onewards since thats when my winter break begins.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:35 pm »
OK. What times would be best for you?

And I'm going to reveal my plans straightaway. I intend to relocate to the New World. My preferred destination will be New England and Manhattan. Also, once I get settled in the New World, I will be more than willing to dispose of my European holdings. I imagine a lot of people would like to get their hands on Lubeck.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »
I'm currently debating if I want to be the Papal States and attempt to create the Kingdom of God or be Brabant and become Emperor again.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 03:32:48 pm »
Oh, that would be fun. I'm planning on going Reformed, by the way.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »
For me, 8 AM to 12 AM works best really, sometime in that frame. That for times.

I think I'll go Papl STates and see what happens with that. Would be funny though if I managed to convert to being a protestant pope or something.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:15 pm »
I assume you mean 8 AM to 12 PM CST?

In that case, I propose that we start at around 2 PM PST (4 PM PST).

And while it would be hilarious to have the Pope become Protestant, it's impossible by game mechanics. The Papacy cannot convert.

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:08:21 pm »
I know, it's a joke. The main issue would be the fact I can't fix the Papacy government as it goes out of date. Hrm... Might look at being another state. I'll think about it as we plan it out.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »
Here are a few suggestions:

Brittany (good colonizer)
Genoa (another major trading power)
Brunswick or Pommerania (good shot at establishing Germany)
Byzantine (classic challenge)
Tver (unify Russia)
The Knights (need I say more?)

• The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 07:40:14 pm »
Here are a few suggestions:

Brittany (good colonizer)
Genoa (another major trading power)
Brunswick or Pommerania (good shot at establishing Germany)
Byzantine (classic challenge)
Tver (unify Russia)
The Knights (need I say more?)

Brittany has 4-5 starting provinces. I was actually considering Naples and losing Provence quickly.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »
Brittany has 4 starting provinces, which is my max.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:47 am »
I'd be open to this as well. I tend to be mostly available late at night (after 9pm, 7:30 on weekends) Pacific time, so this should work out fine as far as that goes. I'd even be open to converting to Victoria 2 if the game goes well and I have the time needed to do that when we're done.

I'll have to check for smaller nations I'd want to play. Maybe Tver or Brittany. Would this be Vanilla? I'd suggest a mod like miscmods or (ideally) WAMMO, stuff that doesn't impact MP but does open some new options. Maybe even run the Peace of God or Shattered Europe scenarios. Shattered Europe particularly would be good, lots of minors to choose from there. I'd tentatively suggest we play on Hard difficulty at least to give the AI a chance for the mid/late-game, although starting as smaller nations that might tip the balance a bit too much the other way.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought