Author Topic: North Carolina introduces bill that would establish the state as a theocracy  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
And how do you feel about this? Do you have any comment that you would like to make about this new development?

Can they do that? I mean can the states make a law that goes against the US constitution? Is this even a violation of the constitution since this would only be about their state and not the entire USA?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
As it says in the article, it is a violation because federal law always trumps state law.

Thing is, doesn't the fourteenth amendment specifically establish that the entirety of the Constitution applies to the states, not just the federal government? Or was that a Supreme Court finding, which these people would disregard anyway? I ask because there was a lot of that sort of debate early on in the country's history, with several states having official churches.

Anyway...you stay classy, NC.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:51:01 pm by R. U. Sirius »
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Oh I would love it if they did pass it and then....struck down immediately after signing.

Ironbite-what is going on that people feel they need this shit nowadays?

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
It's the modern equivalent of bread and circuses. Keep the public entertained or outraged and they won't think about the real issues.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
As it says in the article, it is a violation because federal law always trumps state law.

Thing is, doesn't the fourteenth amendment specifically establish that the entirety of the Constitution applies to the states, not just the federal government? Or was that a Supreme Court finding, which these people would disregard anyway? I ask because there was a lot of that sort of debate early on in the country's history, with several states having official churches.

Anyway...you stay classy, NC.

It was a court finding. Not all Constitution limitations that by their language apply only to Congress have been made applicable to the states. The 1st Amendment has, however.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
It's the modern equivalent of bread and circuses. Keep the public entertained or outraged and they won't think about the real issues.

Yep, just like abortion.

We get it, Republicans.  You have no clue how to fix the economy.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline rtvc2012

• Pope

Yep, just like abortion.

We get it, Republicans.  You have no clue how to fix the economy.
They have more than a few clues how to wreck it, though

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Oh I would love it if they did pass it and then....struck down immediately after signing.

Ironbite-what is going on that people feel they need this shit nowadays?

Yeah, I hope so , too.  Hell, I live in NC and I've about had it with the damn city councils and county commissioners around here thinking the Constitution doesn't apply to them, or that the establishment clause only means that the government can't have anything other than Christianity as an official religion. 

I'm sure the only reason this hasn't been tried in other states is that they just didn't think of it first.  So if NC wants to be the first, so be it.  If this actually passes, which I'm not doubting that it couldn't, I'm sure that SCOTUS will smack it down hard the first chance they get.  My question is, even if they are successful in passing it, how the fuck are they going to enforce it, and what are they going to do to people that don't comply?  Of course, I'm sure it isn't about forcing people to be Christians, it's about them being able to pray "in the name of Jesus" at the aforementioned governmental meetings.

I'm so proud of my state right now. :-[
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
North Carolina gets an ass-kicking in 3... 2...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Wait, now I'm confused... Don't all fundies argue that the Constitution establishes the US as a Christian nation?  Make up your minds you idiots!
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Wait, now I'm confused... Don't all fundies argue that the Constitution establishes the US as a Christian nation?  Make up your minds you idiots!

Yeah, but this would force everyone else to acknowledge it.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ASkeptic

• Neonate
In North Carolina, the state that almost a year ago decided to rub salt in the wounds of gays by denying gay couples even basic legal rights. Why am I not surpised?
"You know I found out recently that the word 'heretic' comes from the Greek word 'hereticos' meaning 'able to choose', which pretty much says it all, don't you think?" -Pat Condell

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
North Carolina is one of my favorite states to visit, but its politicians can be boneheads sometimes.

Though, I suppose the same can be said for every state.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
I was born in Camp Lejeune myself (I live in WV these days). It stuns me that the pols are such fuckwits that they think this will pass any form of legal muster. From what I understand, it died in the House, but that it was even allowed to come up for a vote doesn't bode well.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!