Author Topic: Could someone explain the Asian fascination with Nazis?  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Could someone explain the Asian fascination with Nazis?
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:01:27 am »
It's apparently a thing and I'd like to know how and why and looking it up isn't really working out.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: Could someone explain the Asian fascination with Nazis?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:30 am »
I cant say for all of Asia, but I know that in India the nationalistic eugenics of the Nazis is favorably looked upon because a lot of the Indian youth are facing a fair amount of discrimination and hardships that they attribute to foreign nationals normally Pakistanis. As a result the idea of killing all the non Indians to make space for the Indian youth is pretty appealing. It is a bit messed up, but as hardships increase and continue, more and more violent and drastic notions appear favorable. There are also positive aspects of Nazism too if you wade past the extreme racism and xenophobia. Strong cohesive nationalism being one of them.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:36:50 am »
I've also seen a lot of them actually dress up as SS officers. I feel like I read something about it before but I can't remember now.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:38 am »
In some placaes it's also about the cool uniforms.

There was this one japanese boy band that got into controversy since they were dressed up in clothes that were basically SS-uniforms with Power ragers colours for each band member. Several mangas and animes will also take styled from nazi uniforms.

I think one difference is that in europe and north america anyone who thinks of them is automatically reminded of their crimes and the anti-nazi propaganda. Even the pop-culture in west did propaganda agaisnt the nazies, this was not the case in asia. So even though Nazi-Germany is one of historys villains for most in asia as well it does not have the same status as THE villain of the century. Nazi uniform might be thought of like a roman uniform. How many here would dress up as a roman centurion to a masquerade but be wary of putting on a SS uniform?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:06 am »
Pretty much what has been said. With Japan, there's more glossing over World War 2 due to losing, which means a lot less people know about the holocaust or really understand it there.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:45:54 am »
Also in much of Asia they love Hitler since he killed British people and you know Britain owned them

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:33 pm »
Also in much of Asia they love Hitler since he killed British people and you know Britain owned them

My feelings are hurt :'(

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 03:04:28 pm »

So did the USA (...GOD so did the USA...) and yet they're practically as obsessed with our culture as we are with theirs.

Actually from what I understand, they actually do base some villains on Hitler, so they know he's evil.  That being said, they might find him fascinating because they don't build taboos around taboos like everyone else did.  He isn't the bogeyman to them.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »
Well, I think Hitler had some admiration for the Chinese despite his alliance with Japan. Heck, I believe the Chinese nationalists had some German helmets and weapons.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 05:02:45 am »

So did the USA (...GOD so did the USA...) and yet they're practically as obsessed with our culture as we are with theirs.

Actually from what I understand, they actually do base some villains on Hitler, so they know he's evil.  That being said, they might find him fascinating because they don't build taboos around taboos like everyone else did.  He isn't the bogeyman to them.

I have no idea what kicked off this thread, but the US & Japan aren't especially different in a lot of regards, this being one of them. We have a thing for inserting Hitler, Nazis, or villains based off of Nazis in stories.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 05:05:49 am »

I have no idea what kicked off this thread, but the US & Japan aren't especially different in a lot of regards, this being one of them. We have a thing for inserting Hitler, Nazis, or villains based off of Nazis in stories.

Of course!  Don't you know anything about science!?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 05:29:32 am »

Of course!  Don't you know anything about science!?
I just read that in Linkara's voice for them.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:13 am »
My mind control is working then!