Author Topic: Pope is picking a fight with organised crime.  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Pope is picking a fight with organised crime.
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/06/21/pope-mafia-italy-south/11206469/

As usual I am exaggerating in the title. Still, after meeting the father of a 3 year old who had been killed by the local `Ndrangheta syndicate pope Francis made this statement:

During his homily at an outdoor Mass, Francis denounced the `Ndrangheta for what he called its `'adoration of evil and contempt for the common good. `'

`'Those who go down the evil path, as the Mafiosi do, are not in communion with God. They are excommunicated," he warned.

Excommunicated. That is a big thing for a deeply religious crime syndicate. It could be that this remains nothing more than words and things do not change but concidering how deeply rooted the mafia is with tradition and religion if nothing else this could anger the crime syndicate.

Also concidering how deeply rooted the mafia is everywhere in Italy and how they have killed people for speaking against them the Swiss guard may have to get serious.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Pope is picking a fight with organised crime.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »
I may have to break out the popcorn for this one.  Damn.  Pope's got BALLS!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »
Wow.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 03:53:18 pm »
Here I was thinking the Roman Catholic church was the world's largest international criminal organization.

They should pick on somebody their own size.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
And lo they have!

Ironbite-oh look more pretty words from a pretty Pope.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:01 am »
Nice Vatican you got there, it would be a shame if uh.... anything were to happen to it, y'know?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:30 am »
The Pope vs The Don, a new Epic Rap Battle for a new day!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:02:22 pm »
C'mon, guys, take it outside.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:57:14 am »
WOW! Francis has gonads as big as a basilica! I'll get the popcorn, Sno-Caps, Raisinettes, peanut M&Ms & a gallon of Mountain Dew!

My heart goes out to the father who lost his child. The Mob must be total scum to kill an innocent 3 year old. You'd think they would have some "don't harm kids" honor system. I guess that's just the American branch or a movie-made myth.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »
I find it mildly amusing that the head of the Catholic Church is being praised for taking on a crime syndicate.

But...

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »
I am vengeance.
I am the night.
I am... BATPOPE!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:54:30 pm »
I find it mildly amusing that the head of the Catholic Church is being praised for taking on a crime syndicate.

Popeface sure does seem to be garnering a lot of praise for not being Popatine, I feel.

Excommunicating the Mafia, though...
Hmm...

I doubt this'll last.  The church will be eager to welcome the Mafia back after they've felt that penance has been dealt or something.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 05:48:10 pm »
Popeface sure does seem to be garnering a lot of praise for not being Popatine, I feel.

That and an empty gesture* here and there are pretty much the only reason he's getting praise.

*As I've said, I do like him sticking his finger in the eye of the traditionalists by holding the Holy Thursday mass in a prison and washing prisoners' feet instead of holding it in a basilica and washing priests' feet.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 05:57:12 pm »
I like it, too, but that doesn't mean I like him.

Honestly, it seems like the Catholic church would do a lot better if they just cut off the Pope and the Vatican (because really, the Vatican runs the church, not the Pope)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »
Just imagine if the Mafia did assassinate the pope. Good lord, the entire Catholic world, including most of the Italian government, police, military and general population, would be out for their blood. Omerta only works when everyone agrees to abide by it, after all.