Author Topic: The hype train starts to chug along/ Star Wars VII  (Read 8383 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
The hype train starts to chug along/ Star Wars VII
« on: November 28, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE</a>

Well, it's good to see the ancient Sith tradition of being fucking idiots is still alive. That rather needless crossbar (which most likely takes away from the power of the main blade) would be bound to backfire in any duel, I can assure you.

@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: The hype train starts to chug along/ Star Wars VII
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:31:08 pm »
I'm keeping an open mind about the lightsaber until I see the character use it in combat.  My only complaint is the X-Wings sound like Transformers, but that may change in postproduction.  Overall, I'm definitely excited about the movie.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:37:26 pm »
I like that they don't show the Empire as being old news, as the end of "Return of the Jedi", especially the special edition, implied that it fell instantly following the death of the Emperor.

I could actually see the crossguard working well, depending on the wielder's fighting style. Something more straightforward and (for lack of a better term) European would be able to make good use of it, as opposed to the spinning, fancy styles used in earlier movies, which were based mainly on kendo (for the original trilogy) and tai chi (for the sequels).

Someone posted an article about how another's lightsaber would probably cut instantly through the crossguard's projectors, which I think is an unfounded assumption. Although the "official" line is now that the existing expanded universe is non-canon/an alternate continuity, Lucas and co. haven't been shy about mining it for material before. The capital world of Coruscant was introduced in the expanded universe, after all, and didn't become officially part of the movie continuity until Episode 1. Similarly, the expanded universe introduced several minerals and metals that were resistant to lightsabers...not completely immune, but tough enough that even Jedi had to put in time and effort to carve through them. Why all lighsaber hilts wouldn't be made of similar materials is speculative, but likely due to the metals' rarity.

All in all, this teaser makes me hopeful, but not jizz-my-pants ecstatic.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
The fans that I know are all just ecstatic about it.

Ironbite-and have already redesigned the lightsaber with a ton of branchings

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:00:51 pm »
I'm just surprised the idea of a crossguard lightsaber hasn't been dwelt upon more in the expanded universe. There's only one other example, and it's a bit different.

Also, Stormtroopers finally seem like SPESS MARINES than just canon fodder. About time somebody remembered what the name meant.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:04:27 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 06:45:57 pm »
I keep going back to the lightsword.  It's just so god damn awesome and gets away from the sabers so well.  I keep squeeing over it.

Ironbite-it's going to hit someone and that someone is going to be hurt.  Not dead, hurt.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:51:24 pm »
I'm cautiously hopeful.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:23:44 pm »
People seem pissed about the soccer ball robot, but I think it's pretty cute. Also, I really don't know what to think about the "lightsword". I mean, the lightsabres were pretty much perfect as is.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »
Considering that we've had things like Lightsaber tonfas I don't see why people are compiling about the cross-guard

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 08:03:48 pm »
Considering that we've had things like Lightsaber tonfas I don't see why people are compiling about the cross-guard

I even read one comic that featured a woman fighting with a light-whip. Yes, it's exactly as stupid as it sounds.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »
I think it looks pretty good.

And I like the crossguard thing. It might not make much sense, but it looks awesome and I love it.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 03:40:10 am »

I even read one comic that featured a woman fighting with a light-whip. Yes, it's exactly as stupid as it sounds.

Was that the Sith that caused Luke to get a light-dagger with light crossguards so that he could defeat her? Because lightsabers/lightrapiers with crossguards were seen in the Expanded Universe as well.

Btw, I heard a nice explanation for the "crossguard" on that lighsaber. Rumour goes that the character was a Sith apprentice and he built the saber himself without access to proper crystals. Because the saber has unstable artificial crystals the blade is also unstable and the crossguards are in fact excess heat/something blowing out of the saber because he didn't know how to optimize the powersource and whatnot.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 09:43:21 am »
My personal theory is that it's a Lightsaber Claymore since it has the same design.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 05:26:56 pm »
I think it looks pretty good.

And I like the crossguard thing. It might not make much sense, but it looks awesome and I love it.

I don't get why people think it doesn't make much sense.  Swords (generally) have some kind of handguard and for a bloody good reason (ie so when you block your opponent doesn't just slide his sword down and cut your fucking hand off), why would a sword made of light be any different?  I always thought it was stupid that lightsabres never had any kind of handguard.

The only trouble is that a guard made of the same light stuff that the blade is made of might be potentially dangerous to the person wielding the sword...but weapons that look equally as dangerous for the user as the opponent are most certainly not unrealistic. I mean have you seen some of balls crazy weapons the Chinese had?  Some of them look like it'd take months of training just to learn how to pick them up without cutting all your fingers off.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:23 am »
What impresses me is that usually a character just turns on a lightsaber bu hitting the switch and barely even flicking their wrist in the process.  This character practically shifts his entire bosy as he activates it.  This tells me one of two things:

1.  It's a heavy weapon, regardless of the blade itself.
2.  He's royally ****'ed off!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"