Author Topic: Reuters: Israel tests Dirty Bomb in Negev desert  (Read 5519 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Reuters: Israel tests Dirty Bomb in Negev desert
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
Normally, I trust Reuters and the other big news wire services to vet their news items before release, so this story really disturbs and pisses me off. The link is to a typical, low-budget wire service video using a simplistic explanatory animation with the reporter's voice-over. Reuters, UPI, and AP do print media very well, however.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israel-tested-%e2%80%98dirty-bombs%e2%80%99-in-the-negev-desert/vi-BBkQZrE?ocid=U147DHP

Testing explosive devices that spew radioactive particles sounds more like what one expects ISIL to do. In this report, Israeli government nuclear testing scientists even set up a mock shopping mall to test how radioactive particles would spread within after a dirty bomb detonation.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Reuters: Israel tests Dirty Bomb in Negev desert
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:46:16 am »
I find it interesting that the air filters would block most of the radioactive particles in the air. This would mean that dirty bombs aren't really that dangerous outside the immediate area. Radiation already has trouble penetrating walls so a dirty bomb would mainly do damage with the hysteria it causes.

And although I oppose nuclear bomb tests since those aren't really that necessary anymore I do admit that I am not aware of dirty bombs being tested like this so this might in fact be new and valuable data.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:50:08 am »
If this is true, it could send the Middle East into a war that would leave it destroyed (never mind the rest of the world).

Israel has always denied having nuclear weapons because they know that if they ever confirmed it, all their enemies would immediately withdraw from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, citing the imminent threat to national security. While most of them probably couldn't develop a nuke anyway, Iran already has a nuclear program, and Saudi Arabia could probably just buy everything they needed to start their own.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:59:16 am »
News like this makes me think that ISIL may actually feel the need to double down and really try to get an actual nuke from Pakistan, as they boasted/bluffed about a couple weeks ago.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:11:25 am »
News like this makes me think that ISIL may actually feel the need to double down and really try to get an actual nuke from Pakistan, as they boasted/bluffed about a couple weeks ago.

making israel their number one target, instead of the western world? that is a bad scenario that could happen. well, more credibly than getting a pakistani nuke on the white house lawn, at least.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:52:00 pm »
Why is this such a big deal? Israel has a good reason to assume that they might be a target of such a bomb so it makes sense they test its effects to see how to protect themselves from the damage. They wouldn't need such a crude weapon themselves, they do their indiscriminate killing with high-tech stuff.

This is not a "real" nuclear bomb, after all. Having radioactive material is a different thing than having thermonuclear weapons which is what Israel denies having.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:47:11 pm »
This is not a "real" nuclear bomb, after all. Having radioactive material is a different thing than having thermonuclear weapons which is what Israel denies having.

It's pretty obvious Israel has atomic bombs, though. Any withdrawl of U.S. support and I would say Israel would be the most likely nation to start a nuclear war.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »

It's pretty obvious Israel has atomic bombs, though. Any withdrawl of U.S. support and I would say Israel would be the most likely nation to start a nuclear war.

You're technically right... because Israel is the only country in the Middle East that actually has nuclear weapons at the moment.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:45 pm »
If I were a Muslim country in the middle east right now, I'd be withdrawing from the Non-Proliferation treaty immediately, because Israel is full of fucking psychos and I need to get a nuke of my own to defend myself.

But I am not a Muslim country. I can absolutely see why Iran wants nukes so bad, though. They're probably number one on Israel's target list.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »
If I were a Muslim country in the middle east right now, I'd be withdrawing from the Non-Proliferation treaty immediately, because Israel is full of fucking psychos and I need to get a nuke of my own to defend myself.

If Israel's full of psychos, then why haven't they nuked another country by now?

But I am not a Muslim country. I can absolutely see why Iran wants nukes so bad, though. They're probably number one on Israel's target list.

Other way around, my friend.

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:40:59 pm »

If Israel's full of psychos, then why haven't they nuked another country by now?

Because they're smart psychos, obviously.

If you seriously think Israel doesn't have a target list, you are the most naive person I've ever met. And I've met me from high school.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 05:42:09 pm »
Yeah, gotta agree with Eiki here, UP. I just don't trust Netanyahu one damn bit. If he thinks he can get away with it, he'll do it.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 05:43:07 pm »

Because they're smart psychos, obviously.

Prove it.  You made the claim, now back it up.

If you seriously think Israel doesn't have a target list, you are the most naive person I've ever met. And I've met me from high school.

If they do, it's only because they're on so many other factions' target lists.

Yeah, gotta agree with Eiki here, UP. I just don't trust Netanyahu one damn bit. If he thinks he can get away with it, he'll do it.

Netanyahu is only one man, and he doesn't have absolute power.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:51:27 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 05:51:27 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Offline Eiki-mun

• The Beast
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »
Prove it.  You made the claim, now prove it.

Let me get right on proving my opinion of a nation's mindset.

If they do, it's only because they're on so many other factions' target lists.

Tell that to all the dead Palestinians. Over 2250 last year, by the way. And according to the UN, almost 70% of those killed were civilians - a great many of them children. But tell me more about how Israel is the innocent victim of the Middle East.