Author Topic: What's with all the former Stephen Harper staffers attempting suicide?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
Since there are some Canadians here.

Just read this article about Sona.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/05/17/im-tired-michael-sona-on-robocalls-his-suicide-attempt-and-the-road-back/

Patrick Brazeau and there were a couple of others who's names I forgot. All staffers of Harper's Conservatives, all were thrown under the bus by Harper (Michael Sona ended up in jail).

He was a bad Prime Minister but I always said he was worse as leader of the Conservative Party. I heard that some of them actually confided to Justin Trudeau that they feel better that Harper is gone. I didn't think he was that much worse running his party than he was running the country. But driving people to suicide! Damn!

Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Harper seems to have been a really abusive little shit. He led his party by all indications like a dictator, heck, remember when he tried to get Canada renamed "The Harper Government"?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Harper seems to have been a really abusive little shit. He led his party by all indications like a dictator, heck, remember when he tried to get Canada renamed "The Harper Government"?

Sounds like something one of the crazier Roman emperors would have done.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast

Harper was taking Pierre Trudeau's legacy of concentrating power in the Prime Minister's Office to the extreme. His one term with a majority proved that he epitomized that old saw about how people who can get elected to positions of power should never be allowed to hold them.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
So basically he made a really, really quiet bid for dictator, and nobody really noticed and / or cared outside of making political moves against him.

So he wasn't stupid so much as horribly conniving and just bad at executing a comprehensive country running plan.

Hence why he barely got anywhere once people got an inkling of what he really was, and elected the opposite of him as soon as humanly possible.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
So basically he made a really, really quiet bid for dictator, and nobody really noticed and / or cared outside of making political moves against him.

So he wasn't stupid so much as horribly conniving and just bad at executing a comprehensive country running plan.

Hence why he barely got anywhere once people got an inkling of what he really was, and elected the opposite of him as soon as humanly possible.

They got an "inkling" of what he was when the House of Commons voted to hold his government in contempt of Parliament--I believe that was the first time that had happened in any Westminster Parliament, anywhere, ever--and then promptly gave him a majority in the ensuing election.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
I find it funny that Harper is like the Canadian Nixon. Firstly because he deserves it; his was one of three or four worst governments in the world on climate change (Bush, Abbott). But aside from that, has he done anything unbelievably disasterous? Has he tortured people or viciously wrecked people's lives for being political opponents?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
I find it funny that Harper is like the Canadian Nixon. Firstly because he deserves it; his was one of three or four worst governments in the world on climate change (Bush, Abbott). But aside from that, has he done anything unbelievably disasterous? Has he tortured people or viciously wrecked people's lives for being political opponents?

Let me see...

He had enough of a spat with Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin that it actually became public, which should never happen, however many times the Court smacks down the government for doing illegal or outright unconstitutional things (which they did plenty of times, as I detailed in the Canadianlawgate thread).

He reversed decades of government policy and declined to seek to have a Canadian on death row in the US allowed to instead serve life in Canada (and when the courts told him he had to, he did so in about the most halfhearted manner imaginable).

Two words: Omar Khadr.

Three words: omnibus budget bills. Or, in his own words, when he was a Reform MP for Calgary West, in 1994 (hidden for length):

(click to show/hide)

Harper, as Prime Minister, made such a habit of introducing omnibus budget bills (much, much longer than the one he spoke against in 1994) that Marc Garneau in 2012 quoted Harper in protesting an omnibus bill then before the House: https://openparliament.ca/debates/2012/10/16/marc-garneau-1/

He tried to reverse rules changes that allowed MPs who were not members of an official party in the House to introduce at third reading amendments that would otherwise have to be introduced in committee, since such MPs get no representation in committees. (He may even have succeeded; I can't recall.) This was essentially him trying to shut up Elizabeth May, who would introduce hundreds of such amendments to his omnibus budget bills on the floor of the House, all of which would then have to be voted on (subject to some consolidation by the Speaker), with each vote being a matter of confidence, forcing the government whip to ensure there were always more government MPs than opposition MPs on the floor of the House.

He (or at least members of his government), shortly after rightly praising Peter Milliken as the greatest Speaker of the House of Commons ever (and he was one of the best Speakers of any Westminster Parliament, ever), called him a partisan hack (he was elected as a Liberal MP, but for him that was only a stepping stone to becoming Speaker--once he was chosen as Speaker in 2001, the House kept electing him as Speaker even once the Liberals were in Opposition, despite the tradition that the Speaker should be a Government MP--the rules had been changed to make the vote for Speaker conducted by secret ballot) when one of his last rulings went against his government. (This was shortly before they were voted as being in contempt of Parliament.)

He imported US Republican-style campaigning to Canada.

He got rid of public financing of political parties, a blatant attempt to beggar his opponents, by spinning the issue to convince people that their tax money was going to support the Bloc Quebecois (and nobody was able to counter this by presenting it in the light that would have made it clear that this was not so).

He convinced the Governor-General to prorogue Parliament just so that he could avoid a confidence vote he certainly would have lost. (Granted, this is partly on the Governor-General for knuckling under when she should have told him to suck it up and face the music in the House.) He also painted a proposed Liberal-NDP coalition, which would have replaced his minority government, as undemocratic, playing both on the incorrect notion that as the party with the plurality of seats in the House, only his Conservatives had the right to form a government absent a general election, and on the incorrect notion that Bloc MPs are illegitimate and that any government propped up by them (as that coalition would necessarily have been) would be equally illegitimate.

And he did absolutely fuck-squat-all about what might be the single biggest danger to Westminster democracy in Canada: the election of party leaders by the party membership rather than their Parliamentary caucuses. This is, in my view, the single biggest factor in enabling the concentration of power in the Prime Minister's Office that has been going on since Pierre Trudeau (not coincidentally, that was about when party leadership conventions started, because that was when US presidential nominating conventions began to be televised and Canadians wanted equally glitzy and glamorous things) and (so far) reached its peak under Harper. (Again, this is not entirely on him; it's not like any of the other parties are doing anything about it either.)

He muzzled government-funded scientists from speaking about their work--however groundbreaking, and however much the media might want interviews on the matter--without clearance from the government, which basically never came in time for the media to still be interested in the story. He also muzzled his cabinet ministers, and kicked reporters out of press scrums if he didn't like how they covered him. He even ordered the CBC to present Conservative-slanted viewpoints.

He basically ignored the provinces and first ministers meetings, even though Canada has a federal, not a unitary, structure.

He also decided in 2012 that he would spend lavish amounts of money celebrating the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 and fuck-all on the 30th anniversary of the Constitution Act, 1982 (which included the Charter of Rights and Freedoms) because he chafed at having to follow the Charter (and, probably, at the amendment procedure included in said Act, which stopped him from reforming the Senate with a stroke of his pen, as the Supreme Court was only too happy to remind him when he asked). He then threw a hissy fit and refused to name any more Senators, which was probably a violation of the Constitution Act, 1867, and while someone had put the matter before the courts, the issue was rendered null due to the intervening general election and Justin Trudeau's appointment of some Senators.

His Conservative-led committees regularly took their proceedings in camera (which normally was only used when the committee was debating its budget and travel schedule) and often used their majorities to overrule their own chairs.

Once he was the leader of the Canadian Alliance or, later, the Conservative Party, he regularly propped up Rob Anders, MP for his old riding of Calgary West, over the expressed wishes of said constituency's Conservative riding association (to the point where the riding association's executives quit en masse when he overruled their choice of a different candidate). Furthermore, when he returned to politics after heading up the National Citizens Coalition for a while when the Canadian Alliance elected him as leader, he bumped out the candidate the Calgary Southwest Alliance riding association had already chosen for the by-election to replace Preston Manning--Manning had announced his retirement from Parliament before Harper became leader of the Alliance.

And I can't think of many people bearing the title of Right Honourable who were more often wrong, or more often behaved dishonorably. Maybe Brian Mulroney. Maybe.

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card

That is actually a very good comparison. He was all about being tough on crime, had a list of enemies, was paranoid as hell, and a massive right-wing media machine was established during his time in office (though it's going broke now lol)

By the way, Stephen Harper was the only Prime Minister in the history of the Westminster Parliamentary system (not just Canadian, all countries that use it) to ever be found in contempt of Parliament. Then he got elected with a majority after that, however, there was fraud involved. Including the robocalls that this Michael Sona guy was involved in. I feel sorry for the kid, Stephen Harper really threw him under the bus. I don't know why, but this pisses me off more than most things he has done. I never heard Sona's real side of the story, but a lot of Canadians revile him. But yeah, the Prime Minister took advantage of a kid who just got out of university like that, probably insecure about his career like most new grads are, made a whole country hate him, it's really sickening. The suicide note he wrote said "I am not guilty, I am tired". Now he wants Harper investigated on not just that, but other scandals (in which there have also been suicide attempts among the people involved).

I bet he will never vote Conservative as long as he lives.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:25:49 am by Souriquois »
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card

They got an "inkling" of what he was when the House of Commons voted to hold his government in contempt of Parliament--I believe that was the first time that had happened in any Westminster Parliament, anywhere, ever--and then promptly gave him a majority in the ensuing election.

Here is another weird thing about Stephen Harper.

He... dressed up his cats

http://www.straight.com/blogra/stephen-harpers-wedding-featured-dressed-cats

He had a weird obsession with cats all around:

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/a-feline-fixation/

He had 87 cats during his tenure as Prime Minister. I don't think all at once, but, that is a lot of cats.

Funny he cared more about cats than missing and murdered indigenous women.... or, as can be seen with Michael Sona, his own staffers

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
I'm sorry but that "change the name of Canada to The Harper Government" had to have been a joke.

Ironbite-cause that's so blatant it had to come from the Onion.

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
I'm sorry but that "change the name of Canada to The Harper Government" had to have been a joke.

Ironbite-cause that's so blatant it had to come from the Onion.

Nope. Not the Onion. It really happened

Mind you, most Canadians refer to the government as "The *insert PM's surname here* Government" but Harper put that shit on official letterhead.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:04:53 pm by Souriquois »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
*drinks*

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
He was basically an elected official attempting to create the engine of a 20th century tinpot dictator, only for his own incompetence to limit how far he could go as well as his trepidation coming into play. He tried to style himself as a Red Tory or something, only for him to embody the very worst far right traits, along with the personality cult of a "Red" / Soviet Premier.

A lot of these "power crazy" guys have bizarre fixations.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
He was basically an elected official attempting to create the engine of a 20th century tinpot dictator, only for his own incompetence to limit how far he could go as well as his trepidation coming into play. He tried to style himself as a Red Tory or something, only for him to embody the very worst far right traits, along with the personality cult of a "Red" / Soviet Premier.

A lot of these "power crazy" guys have bizarre fixations.

There's a fine line between power crazy and just plain crazy.