Author Topic: Alt-Right  (Read 19123 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Alt-Right
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:47:54 pm »
You really want to trust an article with such an obvious and easily correctable mistake? Alright, your funeral.
That kek is lol but it isn't that iteration of lol?

Internet serious business to eleventy!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 11:17:01 pm »
You really want to trust an article with such an obvious and easily correctable mistake? Alright, your funeral.

"Because if they made this one minor, not at all obvious unless you're an absolute World of Warcraft nerd mistake, the whole article is bunk. Burn it all."
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 03:42:57 pm »
That's straight out of the Goobly Gook playbook too.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:59:01 pm »
I don't know about that. It is however exactly the sort of thing Dynamic Paragon would say. I mean if he decided to come back again and pretend to be someone else. Again.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 08:26:59 am »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/5y9y1o/altright_trigger_warning_the_overwhelming/

Ancap subreddit has been taken over by alt-right and this is what happens when someone tries to argue against racism there.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

pyro

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:42 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capitalism/comments/5y9y1o/altright_trigger_warning_the_overwhelming/

Ancap subreddit has been taken over by alt-right and this is what happens when someone tries to argue against racism there.

I wonder if the mods are going to start waving the banhammer around, or if they're really going to let their sub get eaten alive like this.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 06:36:49 pm »
Its an anarchocapitalism subreddit, any rules or enforcement thereof is government and, therefore, bad.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 04:51:39 pm »

"Because if they made this one minor, not at all obvious unless you're an absolute World of Warcraft nerd mistake, the whole article is bunk. Burn it all."

Have you heard of the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect?

Quote from: Michael Crichton
Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

Just to be perfectly clear, I don't write off entire outlets. OTOH, I am critical of individual writers. If they say something I know isn't true, I'm going to be skeptical of their other claims.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than led astray. Especially considering the media's proven dishonesty during the last election.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »
Lana, you're not really gonna try to defend the lugenpresse / fake news thing are you? That is all a product of Donald Trump's deranged mind. And even then I would prefer "dishonest media" to the squealings and squawking of the right wing's army of idiots.

I don't buy into the Amnesia Effect - especially when its just fucking WoW nerdwad terminology.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 06:08:41 pm »

Have you heard of the Murray Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect?

Quote from: Michael Crichton
Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

Just to be perfectly clear, I don't write off entire outlets. OTOH, I am critical of individual writers. If they say something I know isn't true, I'm going to be skeptical of their other claims.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than led astray. Especially considering the media's proven dishonesty during the last election.

Gell-Mann amnesia is about messing up a causal relationship or otherwise showing that you don't understand even the basics about an issue. Confusing the factions in WoW is a superficial error if the writer has otherwise understood the causal relationship correctly.

As an example I confused fission with fusion in the essay part of a physics exam in high school. I explained each process 100% accurately except getting these terms the wrong way around. My teacher gave me an almost perfect score from the essay but according to your logic he should have given me 0 points.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 07:48:19 pm »
Another mistake in the Buzzfeed glossary is saying that Discord is for "far right groups", it's just an IM/Voice chat app for gamers. So yes there would be a presence of far right people, but there's also a far left (for example, Communist) presence on the site as well, same goes for moderates or even apolitical people. Buzzfeed (like much of the media these days) seems to have a knee-jerk reaction to certain new platforms for communication or activities and are prone to start moral panics. This isn't anything new, the Christians back in the 80s made a big deal about how the local D & D dungeonmasters would turn your teenagers into Satanist Liberals, the left is capable of this same fearmongering.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »
Seriously, I use Discord for Loading Ready Run and The Command Zone.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 08:56:00 pm »
That's like saying Reddit is exclusively for manchildren.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 09:16:17 pm »
But you see Discord is marketed for gamers, therefore it must be full of the worst gamer stereotypes

I've somehow managed to be on five servers, none of them is about gaming at all except maybe one that technically grew out of a roleplaying group
Σא

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:34:21 pm »
Mine are both "gaming" related, but one is a tabletop game. The other is, well, very diverse in its interests.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".