Author Topic: Wikileaks refused to leak info on Russia  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Wikileaks refused to leak info on Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:26:21 am »
GEE I WONDER WHY!?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:45 am »
Well, yes there is an obvious explanation for this.

Much as most people have already guessed Wikileaks has a clear pro-Russian bias and they have been proven to "leak" altered material that was specifically doctored to make USA or certain political candidates look bad.

Which really is a shame because there was a time when it did some good. Unfortunately by being clearly biased Wikileaks has become untrustworthy and even if they find and reveal some important leaks now, no one can take their word for it without doing a rigorous check on the data. ...Which is practically impossible due to the nature of the leaks.

TL;DR Wikileaks can no longer do what it was supposed to do. It is not a neutral and trustworthy source of information.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »
Which really is a shame because there was a time when it did some good.

That was a long, long time ago.  Good times, back before they started including information in their leaks that resulted in the murders of Iraqi translators.  That was about the time I decided Wikileaks could go fuck itself.

pyro

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:42:36 pm »
My biggest complaint used to be that Wikileaks wasn't actually a wiki.

Sad.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 10:47:16 pm »
So, Julian Assange is Putin's bitch, and Wikileaks is a mouthpiece for Russia to air dirty laundry of people that Putie doesn't like...

Tl;dr- Gambling?!? In Casablanca!?! I'm shocked.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:01 am »

Sad.

Yes it was. Wiki means free. The leaks were free.

It wasn't an encyclopedia, the part that "pedia" in Wikipedia refers to.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 12:11:48 pm »

Sad.

Yes it was. Wiki means free. The leaks were free.

It wasn't an encyclopedia, the part that "pedia" in Wikipedia refers to.

?

Wiki originally comes from a Hawaiian term meaning 'quick', and in the context of the internet means a webisite collaboratively edited by its users.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 01:09:55 pm »
Dang, I misremembered it. I knew that they had a word in mind and then went looking for it in all the different languages until they found a version that they liked the sound of.

So it was "quick" rather than "free." The point still remains... Instead of calling all Wikipedia derivatives "wikis" they should be known as "pedias."

pyro

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
Let's look at the old WikiWikiWeb, literally where the name "Wiki" comes from.

There are important differences between Wikipedia and WikiWikiWeb, they have a page "Wiki is not WikiPedia" all about that, but they have a lot of important stuff in common:

• They have an edit button that anybody can click to edit the page: third wikis sometimes require you to make an account, but that process is automated and only requires you to have an email address and solve a CAPTCHA
  • They keep a history of changes, and the site is designed so that there's going to be a long, rich history
  • The edited page is immediately visible; there is no pre-publish moderation, and no editorial process enforced by the system

FSTDT is not a wiki. It's user-generated content, but it has to go through an editorial process before it shows up and it's structured in a way that once a page is created it rarely changes (no history, no need for it). "Wiki"leaks follows exactly the same model as FSTDT does; it's not a wiki either.