Author Topic: Violent Clashes during Catalan Referendum  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Violent Clashes during Catalan Referendum
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:07 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/world/europe/catalonia-independence-referendum.html?mcubz=3

BARCELONA, Spain — Catalonia’s defiant attempt to stage an independence referendum descended into chaos on Sunday, with hundreds injured in clashes with police in one of the most serious tests of Spain’s democracy since the end of the Franco dictatorship in the 1970s.

National police officers in riot gear deployed in thick phalanxes as they fanned out across Catalonia, the restive northeastern region of Spain, to shut down polling stations and seize ballot boxes.

Over the course of the day, the referendum took on an almost surreal cast. The voting went ahead in many towns and cities, with men and women, young and old, singing and chanting as they lined up for hours to cast ballots, even as confrontations with the police turned violent elsewhere.

The police, sent by the central government in Madrid from other parts of Spain, used rubber bullets and truncheons in some places. The clashes quickly spoiled what had been a festive, if expectant, atmosphere among voters, many of whom had camped inside polling stations to ensure that they would remain open.

¡Ay, caramba!
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Violent Clashes during Catalan Referendum
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:25:26 pm »
Yeah if anyone wants to see fascism in action, look no further then Spain.

Ironbite-this will not end well.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:10:43 pm »
Spain really really really does not want to lose their most (I think) productive and profitable region. Especially now when their economy is in the shit heap.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:14:48 pm »
Catalonia is essentially Spain's Northern Ireland.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:59:03 pm »

Except without a body of water separating them and without a country right next door that they'd probably join should they gain independence.

But anyway, WTF Spain? The courts said that the referendum had no legal status, so where's the fucking harm in letting them vote? Seriously, this looks way worse than letting them vote and then ignoring the result--especially if, as a lot of people expected, the vote was boycotted by those opposed to Catalan independence.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:20:01 am »
Warning, scenes may cause distress and/or a desire to throw Spanish police into the sun.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI49YSCruwY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI49YSCruwY</a>

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:21:49 am »
And, no doubt, some folks are sitting here, dumbfounded as to why Spain is going down the shitter faster than a case of Taco Bell-induced brown thunder.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:37:26 am »

I thought that was Basque Country.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 02:01:38 pm »
Violent voting suppression was just idiotic.

They had already decreed that the vote was illegal and that the locals had no legal right to announce independence even if they win the vote. Which means that as far as Spain sees this matter they had no need to stop the non-binding vote. All it did was create sympathy for the Catalans (and violate laws I think?)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 03:28:52 pm »

They had already decreed that the vote was illegal and that the locals had no legal right to announce independence even if they win the vote. Which means that as far as Spain sees this matter they had no need to stop the non-binding vote. All it did was create sympathy for the Catalans (and violate laws I think?)

I don't think it violates Spain's laws. It might violate EU laws.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 03:42:15 pm »
Beating up people who aren't a threat? Police brutality pretty damn well should be against the laws in Spain.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:25 pm »

I thought that was Basque Country.
Point, and it might be a rather pointed warning to them not to try the same.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:54 pm »

Also made sure that the people who showed up to vote were disproportionately those that felt strongly about independence, making the result 90% in favour of Yes, while opinion polls were much more balanced.

Um. Good job, Spanish government. You sure accomplished all your goals.
Σא

Offline dpareja

• The Beast