Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1598739 times)

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09:25 am »
I thoroughly disagree with the race baiting seeds also using the tao.  That doesn't make a lick of sense, in context.  The tao is all about ACTUAL balance, not what Fox claims it is.

I think that's the joke...

They use race-baiting, yet claim to be fair and balanced. Hence, they are putting a 'truly balanced' sticker on to something obviously not fair and balanced.

I could be reading it wrong and being dumb, however.

I read it how Miles did.
I assumed I'd missed something in the news about Fox going after taoists... >_>

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
I thoroughly disagree with the race baiting seeds also using the tao.  That doesn't make a lick of sense, in context.  The tao is all about ACTUAL balance, not what Fox claims it is.
Small nitpick but the symbol is actually called the taijitu (太极图/太極圖), meaning something roughly like the 'image of ultimate power'. It was created by the neo-confucian philosopher Zhou Dunyi some 1500 years after Laozi described tao (dao in modern romanization and 道 in hanzi) in the terms that would form the approximate base of the nightmarish collocation of philosophies and religious practices which get lumped under the vague grouping of 'daoism'.

The original concept behind the taijitu would probably be better described as an aspect of traditional Chinese world view since it rather overlapped with pretty much every Chinese school of thought at the time, and was not specifically daoist at all.

Oh look it's me.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2012, 02:56:56 am »
I am horribly amused at the idea of Santorum having his name stitched onto his own butt.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:00 pm »
I am horribly amused at the idea of Santorum having his name stitched onto his own butt.

Remember those hot pants that girls used to wear that had slogans stitched on their asses?

Also:

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »
While the "It Gets Better" project does probably lack some class awareness...what's the alternative? "If you're poor, black or hispanic, urban, and gay, it never gets better so just swallow a gun right now before it gets worse"?
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #261 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:03 pm »
While the "It Gets Better" project does probably lack some class awareness...what's the alternative? "If you're poor, black or hispanic, urban, and gay, it never gets better so just swallow a gun right now before it gets worse"?

Swing and a miss!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
« Reply #262 on: February 28, 2012, 09:18:33 pm »
Swing and a miss!

No, really. The cartoon is criticizing the program for telling gay kids "hey, don't kill yourself, life gets better, here's my story to prove it" because it doesn't apply to anyone but white upper class males. Which might be true, but it doesn't render the overall message ("no matter how bad it is right now, your life can always get better") false. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, if so tell me.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #263 on: February 28, 2012, 09:19:48 pm »
Swing and a miss!

No, really. The cartoon is criticizing the program for telling gay kids "hey, don't kill yourself, life gets better, here's my story to prove it" because it doesn't apply to white upper class males. Which might be true, but it doesn't render the overall message ("no matter how bad it is right now, your life can always get better") false. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, if so tell me.

Other way around. According to Dan Savage, only white gay males get to be told it gets better. Hence 0 class awareness. He doesn't give a fuck about transpeople or black lesbians, or hispanic bisexuals.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »
Other way around. According to Dan Savage, only white gay males get to be told it gets better. Hence 0 class awareness. He doesn't give a fuck about transpeople or black lesbians, or hispanic bisexuals.

Sorry, I edited it to say "anyone but" after I posted it - I'm not a total idiot. Isn't the content for the project mostly user generated though? Would he turn away a video from a black lesbian or a transperson or a Hispanic bisexual?  If yes, he would actively suppress videos from those groups, the the cartoon is spot on and I withdraw my complaint. If no, he wouldn't turn away videos from those folks if they were submitted, then we get into the secondary class issue of these being primarily youtube videos made by people with access to webcams and quality internet connections- which would be more likely be people lower middle class or higher, frequently white people. And people who don't hate Dan Savage (for any number of the valid reasons), which might cut out people like lesbians, bisexuals, and transpeople.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:29:50 pm by Kit Walker »

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:19 pm »
Swing and a miss!

No, really. The cartoon is criticizing the program for telling gay kids "hey, don't kill yourself, life gets better, here's my story to prove it" because it doesn't apply to white upper class males. Which might be true, but it doesn't render the overall message ("no matter how bad it is right now, your life can always get better") false. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, if so tell me.

Holy crap! Where did he say that?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #266 on: February 28, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »

Sorry, I edited it to say "anyone but" after I posted it - I'm not a total idiot. Isn't the content for the project mostly user generated though? Would he turn away a video from a black lesbian or a transperson or a Hispanic bisexual?  If yes, he would actively suppress videos from those groups, the the cartoon is spot on and I withdraw my complaint. If no, he wouldn't turn away videos from those folks if they were submitted, then we get into the secondary class issue of these being primarily youtube videos made by people with access to webcams and quality internet connections.

Perhaps, but the comic is deriding the maker (Dan Savage) and how the maker views the project.

Swing and a miss!

Holy crap! Where did he say that?

You can find various examples here with sources.

&

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #267 on: February 28, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
Not to mention that the implication of the message is basically, "You have to stick this out." It's a violent reassignment of guilt. And yeah, maybe your mom did come around to accept you for who you are eventually, but what actually matters is if she does not love you now, when you are at a vulnerable time in your life.

The fact of the matter is that it does not get better for many people, especially the poor, minorities, and transpeople. The latter has a suicide rate three times higher than the rest of the population. Dan Savage is treating anti-LGBT bullying as "Oh, well as soon as you get out of college you can just grow up, move to Seattle, take a trip to Paris, and adopt a baby! It's just so simple!" No, no it's not.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »

&

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:34 pm »
That's kind of a narrow definition of racism. Systematic racism vs incidental racism would be more accurate. Still, the image makes a very good point about oppression.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)