Author Topic: My petition to repeal DOMA and legalize same sex marriage  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
My petition to repeal DOMA and legalize same sex marriage
« on: November 11, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »
Okay I saw this petition thing on the White House's website and so I made one myself to repeal DOMA and legalize same sex marriage please sign it and spread it around currently as I'm writing this it has two or three signatures from Jeb and KZN02 so please do sign it.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-defense-marriage-act-and-legalize-same-sex-marriage-nation-wide/WZZP6dK8

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: My petition to repeal DOMA and legalize same sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »
Well right now there are a couple of constitutional challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act that may make their way to the Supreme Court--Gill v. Office of Personnel Management and Windsor v. United States. We will know for sure which, if any, of the cases the Supreme Court decides to take on November 20th, but all bets seem to be on Windsor. So there's a fair chance that a formal repeal by Congress will be unnecessary.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:08 pm »
I'd sign it, but I'm not American, so fat load of good that'd do.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »
That's a good way, a petition. But I'd more be looking for it in some policy or another. Such as the military, following the demise of DADT, starting to recognize SSMs. Or it sneaking into immigration reform, as in a same sex partner where the spouse would normally go. And once a union is recognized by the federal government, it takes a lot to get the toothpaste back into the tube, so to speak.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
Here's one thing I don't understand about the Defense of Marriage Act: If you're for defending marriage, why do you vilify certain lovers and attack marriage (between a man & a man and a woman & a woman)?

I mean this could all be placed in a macro. Anyway, I know why they think marriage should be "defended;" that they're all entirely black & white and look into their shiny mirror and claim that if the LGBT finally gets their well-deserved rights that they would phase out "traditional" marriage (marriage between a man & a woman). And of course, all which is also mere Insane Troll Logic.

I would kindly sign this petition, if it weren't for the fact that I'm afraid it will never get enough signatures before its deadline. I mean that George "Dubya" Bush asshole is out of his throne and it's now a man who has spoken of recognition of homosexuals and support for marriage between them. Enough of this horrible status quo. Get it over with already.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:45 am »
Petitions are terrible when going to government because they have no idea who signed it and whether or not it affects them and their constituents in any meaningful way. Instead, make sure your congressman and senator know you exist, your a voice, and you vote in elections, both mid-term and Presidential. Though I don't write to my congressman and Senator because they are a bunch of turd brains. Well, might to my congress man since there'd be more pressure on him there since I live in a more urban area, but Senator involves going up against nimrod Kansans who can't seem to realize that maybe we should switch to a democrat. 4 balanced state budgets ruined by a Republican.

Cause, you know, abortion.

But yeah, there's ways to get involved and provide pressure. Petitions can help make sure there's something there to listen to, but if you sign one... also send it to your federal Representatives. They are your Representatives, even if I really don't like mine. Okay, I really should write to both of them.

I must remember the saying in my sig.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying