Author Topic: More shootings--this time in Texas!  (Read 6140 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
More shootings--this time in Texas!
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/22/texas-campus-shooting.html

A shooting on a Texas community college campus wounded at least three people Tuesday and sent students fleeing for safety as the campus was placed on lockdown, officials said.

Lone Star College System spokesman Jed Young said two people were involved in a shootout at the school, and two others were injured after being caught in the crossfire.

Cody Harris, 20, he said he was in a classroom with about six or seven other students waiting for a psychology class to start when he heard eight shots. He and other students looked at each other, said "I guess we should get out of here," and fled.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: More shootings--this time in Texas!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »
GOD
FUCKING
DAMMIT

This got ridiculous ages ago!

At least it sounds like no one got killed.

Two shooters.  Fuck.  And one of them got away.  FUCK.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:56:58 pm »
Shooters unharmed.  Two bystanders wounded.  Yep, that's Texas.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:39:25 pm »
Actually, I'm pretty sure one of the shooters was shot and wounded -- but not killed.

Seriously, this is like... copycat mania.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »
But the solution is more guns amirite. The ride never ends.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:28:48 pm »
This has always been happening. It just happens to be that we've become hypersenstive to it because of the recent large shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut and the media runs with it.

Distind

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:37:57 pm »
Apparently these two may have been shooting at each other. Just to make it clear to anyone who hadn't caught any of this.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »
Another day, yet another shooting in America.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:11:12 pm »
This has always been happening. It just happens to be that we've become hypersenstive to it because of the recent large shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut and the media runs with it.

This. It's always happened and always WILL happen. It's just that every time some national tragedy happens, news outlets will leap on anything even vaguely similar to try and play on the fear and paranoia everyone has.

Funny how so many people will only demand "We should do something about all those guns!" when children are killed, or a lot of people are killed at once. All the other violence in the world is plainly ignored or even celebrated until they're afraid for themselves or their families.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:04:40 pm »

This. It's always happened and always WILL happen. It's just that every time some national tragedy happens, news outlets will leap on anything even vaguely similar to try and play on the fear and paranoia everyone has.

Funny how so many people will only demand "We should do something about all those guns!" when children are killed, or a lot of people are killed at once. All the other violence in the world is plainly ignored or even celebrated until they're afraid for themselves or their families.
It's a shame we never come up with solutions other than gluing our eyes to the TV and watching the violence unfold.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:06 am »
(Insert headdesk gif here)

I can't begin to tell you the things these two idiots did wrong (and I'm not just talking the obvious!). Those guns had no business being on the campus, but then, I must remind myself that it's TEXAS, with guns laws that make West Virginia look like New York State.

I have one solution in mind for a dispute of this nature. In the old days. one used to train for duels with wax bullets. So, what I propose for certain grievances is we bring back the duel, but use only wax bullets or paintballs.  Each person walks 10 paces, turns, and fires. I figure a best three-out-of-five will do wonders to prevent flukes.

As for casualties, I heard it was three bystanders wounded, and a fourth one with a heart attack. Even a single person wounded by two careless gun owners is unacceptable. However, I want to see more facts. I want to see what sort of dispute caused this, and maybe who took that first shot. It wouldn't do for me to turn into Nancy Grace :P

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:10 am »
Duels also had a bit of planning behind them, they didn't just start shooting at each other in a crowded street. Since planning the whole deal usually took a while the participants had time to cool down and maybe cancel the fight if they realised that the idea of fighting to the death over a spilled drink is fucking stupid. The duel would be held in a place where there weren't any innocent bystanders and propably made sure that noone is standing right behind the shooters.

Or they could use swords.

Swords are cool.

Seriously though this incident is a good example of why armed society is NOT an polite society. If they had thought this through the shooting would not have happened but guess what? These kinds of folk do not think things through! The original argument could have been over something incredibly small but things kept escalating and because they had guns thing COULD escalate pretty far.

I know some guys who have worked as bouncers at bars and one of them had a pretty good analogy about this:

If I ask you what would you be willing to die/kill for, you would not probably answer "a pint of beer" but if you take a few drinks in a bar and someone knocks over your drink... SHIT JUST GOT REAL!

The same people who are quite sensible when they are sober will have to be dragged off each other by guards when they have some alcohol in their system. At that exact moment they are ready to kill and die. No argument will persuade them.

(We actually had this conversation on a shooting range. We have often talked about Finnish gun laws and how incidents like these would affect things.)

I don't know if alcohol was involved in this case, but then again, for some people it is not necessary. And these are the exact people who should not be allowed near anything that can be used as a weapon. But I suppose as long as USA will have the second amendment you really can't make any meaningful gun laws that would limit them from getting the guns.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »
Before I sit down and pass judgement over this (aside from saying I think the whole thing is fucking retarded) I will want to find out some more facts before laying blame on anyone or anything, be it the two idiots, guns or alcohol. So far, the sum of my knowledge about this has been "Texas campus, two shooters, three wounded, one shooter in custody."

Just not enough facts for me to understand what the fuck is going on with this story.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »
Before I sit down and pass judgement over this (aside from saying I think the whole thing is fucking retarded) I will want to find out some more facts before laying blame on anyone or anything, be it the two idiots, guns or alcohol. So far, the sum of my knowledge about this has been "Texas campus, two shooters, three wounded, one shooter in custody."

Just not enough facts for me to understand what the fuck is going on with this story.

Apparently a fight broke out and escalated into this.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:25:01 pm »
Apparently a fight broke out and escalated into this.

Yeah, I got that, but I've also found conflicting stories, like one that said all three of the wounded were bystanders, one that said two wounded were bystanders and one was one of the shooters, and another that said both shooters were wounded and only one was a bystander.

So, until someone can get the facts sorted, I'm holding off judgement. Aside from saying, again, that I find this whole thing fucking stupid.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen