Author Topic: One step closer to nuclear fusion  (Read 1072 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
One step closer to nuclear fusion
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:32:34 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/nuclear-fusion-hits-energy-milestone-1.2534140

For the first time, fuel for a nuclear fusion reaction has generated more energy than put into it – a scientific milestone.

Scientists and futurists have long dreamed of harnessing the energy of nuclear fusion, which powers the sun, here on Earth. An enormous amount of energy is released when multiple atoms collide and fuse to form a new, heavier atom — such as hydrogen fusing into helium. Hydrogen fuel is plentiful in sources such as seawater and the fusion process generates no radioactive waste, greenhouse gases or other dangerous byproducts.

However, for decades, scientists have been unsuccessful in generating the conditions for making fusion happen on Earth in a controlled manner that would allow it to be used in power plants.

The problem? While the hydrogen put out more energy than it absorbed from the lasers, it only absorbed a small portion of the total energy of the lasers, meaning that it still took more energy to get the fusion started than was released by the process.

Still, this is a pretty significant step toward controlled nuclear fusion.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: One step closer to nuclear fusion
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:47:34 pm »
This is excellent news.  If we can achieve nuclear fusion, the world's current energy problems will be permanently over.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:22:50 pm »
Huzzah!
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:12:56 am »
Hooray for SCIENCE!
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!