Author Topic: Women may be more likely to be hired for STEM faculty  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Women may be more likely to be hired for STEM faculty
« on: April 15, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »
http://news.sciencemag.org/education/2015/04/women-best-men-stem-faculty-hiring-study

A woman applying for a tenure-track faculty position in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) at a U.S. university is twice as likely to be hired as an equally qualified man, if both candidates are highly qualified, according to a new study.

The results run counter to widely held perceptions and suggest that this is a good time for women to be pursuing academic careers. Some observers, however, say that the study—which involved actual faculty members rating hypothetical candidates—may not be relevant to real-world hiring. And they worry the results may leave the incorrect impression that universities have achieved gender parity in STEM fields.

For a link to the study itself:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/04/08/1418878112.abstract

I think this is something that requires further examination.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Women may be more likely to be hired for STEM faculty
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:16:00 pm »
It is weird.

Scott Alexander has a blog post comparing this study with another that found opposite effects. They had different methodologies in ways that don't make it shocking that the results are different, but it's still weird.
Σא

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Women may be more likely to be hired for STEM faculty
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:05 pm »
Huh. I just noticed this thread. Daughter #2 has been interested in STEM for quite some time. Her plan by way of West Point. Something to keep an eye on.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.