Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2025282 times)

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #1170 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:52 pm »
I hate when I post the wrong picture in a thread.  :o

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1171 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
That this:

has invaded my fandom. >=[

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1172 on: May 09, 2012, 12:28:26 am »
My current job pays out every Tuesday. Though personally I don't particularly care what day I get paid, just as long as I get my monies at regular intervals.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #1173 on: May 09, 2012, 01:09:31 am »
The uber strong whiffs of perfume that come out of the makeup department at work, sometimes that stuff can really be overwhelming.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1174 on: May 09, 2012, 03:24:47 am »
When a head cold, various life stresses, a missed dose of meds and an overall rotten mood conspire to keep me from falling asleep.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1175 on: May 09, 2012, 05:12:50 am »
Got my first review on my fanfiction. You tell me what part is annoying:

"I just read through all of this and it's good, but it is dialogue heavy. I suggest that maybe you focus on one thing at a time. Fanfiction is not advanced litrature, and people just want to come and casually read about there favorite fandom."

>___>

I suppose that's what I get for saying "any and all reviews welcome."
I received the same line, but from the fan-fic author. He wrote only in endless pargraphs (minimum 12 sentences), hiding the dialogue inside. The story was solid, but since he was getting grief, I decided to be helpful and showed him how to break down these paragraphs into a format that more people would like to read (ie, how every single goddamn book on the planet has done it since the end of the romantic era of Victorian literature!).

"This isn't a writing course, I just want to get the stories out. What are you, and English major?"

>___< Yes.... yes I am. Congrats on having no one want to read your shit.

I've helped many a fan-fic writer in the same way, and I'm often suprised how my simple suggestions of hitting return once in awhile and separating dialogue is seen as mind-blowing. I'd always assumed most fan-fic writers at least read a book or two and would, you know, at least try to copy their favorite authors until they found a voice.

These are what annoy me.  Typos I can handle.  Spelling mistakes on not-so-common words I can handle.  But not knowing the difference between, "An" and "And?"  That's just laziness, even for just fan fiction.

As for dialog-heavy vs. text-heavy, it all depends on the specific story.  But both comments about, "This isn't advanced Lit," just make them sound lazy.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1176 on: May 09, 2012, 05:48:47 am »
My fic is both dialogue and text-heavy. But I don't do one-shots because it's practically impossible for me to. Working on Chapter Seventeen now. But what's annoying me is it feels rushed, even if it has taken me 16 chapters prior to get to where I'm at now.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #1177 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:02 am »
I've done stories with 50 chapters and felt like I was shortchanging myself and my readers, so... I get where you're coming from.  Just remember, it's quality, not quantity. :)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1178 on: May 09, 2012, 08:12:08 am »
Oh, I know. That's my mantra. I just don't want to feel like I've ended it too early. I'm over 40K words, which each chapter 1,000-3,000 words.

&

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #1179 on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:14 am »
These are what annoy me.  Typos I can handle.  Spelling mistakes on not-so-common words I can handle.  But not knowing the difference between, "An" and "And?"  That's just laziness, even for just fan fiction.

In fairness, I would imagine that the cited example was probably a typo.

Oh, I know. That's my mantra. I just don't want to feel like I've ended it too early. I'm over 40K words, which each chapter 1,000-3,000 words.

My track record is terrible when it comes to length and completion. I'm fine with producing short stories or the first few chapters of a novel, but anything longer and I tend to lose interest pretty quickly. The longest completed rough draft I've managed to complete was novella length, and pretty much anything that's remotely polished -- let alone a final draft -- will be a short story.

To demonstrate the point: The longest published story on my old Fiction Press account is a mere 2,797 words.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1180 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:39 am »
Some people are good at shorter stories. I just feel... stunted if I write them, myself.

&

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #1181 on: May 09, 2012, 11:19:31 am »
Every single fucking time I'm wearing headphones (which isn't even vey often), someone decides they need to talk to me. It's never anything remotely important, and they always just start talking as if I can hear them perfectly. I can't hear shit. I don't want to hear shit. That's why I'm wearing headphones.

EDIT: Since posting this, Mrs. E did this to me twice, and then got mad at me for asking her to repeat herself.

EDIT again: 3 times.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:36:13 pm by JohnE »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1182 on: May 09, 2012, 01:44:22 pm »
Well I think you know what to do John.

Ironbite-kill her to teach her the lesson of talking to you when wearing headphones.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1183 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:17 pm »

In fairness, I would imagine that the cited example was probably a typo.

True.

As for writing, I try to keep my stories short, but somehow they kept getting longer and longer.  I don't want to work on a book right now.  I just want something I can complete in one or two sittings, allowing me more time for proofreading.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #1184 on: May 09, 2012, 07:51:48 pm »
The fact that the birther meme is still alive and well.