Author Topic: Bill C-279 in Canada  (Read 1925 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Bill C-279 in Canada
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:42 pm »
As some might know (it's all over my Facebook) Canada is considering to cement transgender right in law through a bill. There are already multiple petitions trying to get many people to get the parliament to vote for it.

I think it's good that Canada is considering this, but how would the bill fair in Haper's administration?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Bill C-279 in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:38 pm »
With enough pushing from the Grits and NDP, as well as the general population, the Tories might cave on it. They're not exactly the most gay or trans-friendly group in the world, but unlike the Republicans, they don't actually run on overt anti-LGBT platforms, nor is there such a significant opposition to LGBT rights up here. As such, the Conservatives are much more likely to let these kinds of bills pass in Parliament.

That being said, I wouldn't celebrate this just yet. We'll have to wait and see how all of this plays out.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »
Godspeed
But seeing as the tories ban transsexuals from planes....

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:58:29 pm »
That's a somewhat misleading way of phrasing it. The law you're referencing is certainly discriminatory against the transgendered, but it's not like they outright banned transpeople from flights.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:31 am »
That's a somewhat misleading way of phrasing it. The law you're referencing is certainly discriminatory against the transgendered, but it's not like they outright banned transpeople from flights.
sorry

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:33:54 am »
From my point of view the fact that the bill even got to parliament is a massive sign of improvement and acceptance of trans rights. I personally hope it succeeds. However, I am also aware that old biases and trans-phobias die hard.

My normal platform is to expect the worst while hoping for and fighting for the best.

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:02 am »
sorry

No need to be sorry. Just thought it should be expounded upon in case anyone who's unfamiliar with the law happens across the post. :)

From my point of view the fact that the bill even got to parliament is a massive sign of improvement and acceptance of trans rights. I personally hope it succeeds. However, I am also aware that old biases and trans-phobias die hard.

My normal platform is to expect the worst while hoping for and fighting for the best.

Likewise. No matter how long it takes, I really do believe that our side will prevail. Hell, I take all the kicking, screaming and whining from the far right as a sign that we're getting close to something resembling equality, being that they wouldn't be this terrified if we weren't making hasty progress. Let 'em have their little panic attack.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »
It will probably depend on how hard the old Reform party members in Harper's party push against it vs. the public demands it. If he can bury it quietly in committee or let it die in recess he would just to avoid the controversy since his party is split on the issue. If it goes to the floor it would probably be as a free vote to keep his party happy, and that isn't very desirable since it would remind the public the Harper's ranks are still full of the old guard which is something he desperately tries to avoid.

Harper is a new-school conservative; he'll take everyone's rights and freedoms, not just deny them to a single group.