Author Topic: NOM has infiltrated my inbox...  (Read 1490 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
NOM has infiltrated my inbox...
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:00 pm »
Seriously, a week or two ago I had to ask who these people were on another thread here.  Now they want to fuck with my coffee!!!

Dear Friend,

Starbucks stuck its neck out to publicly support the right of all people to marry, regardless of the gender of their partner.

Now it is under attack by the ironically named, ultra-conservative "National Organization for Marriage."1 Already more than 20,000 NOM members have pledged to boycott Starbucks, and NOM is even threatening to run ads against Starbucks in 55 countries.

Let's blow the right wing out of the water by getting more than ten times as many consumers to thank Starbucks for standing up for gay marriage.

Join us in showing our support for Starbucks by signing our giant Thank You card. If 200,000 of us sign it, we'll deliver it to Starbucks executives to give them moral support to keep standing up for equality.

NOM is targeting Starbucks because the company recently stood up publicly to support gay marriage legislation in their home state of Washington.2 When it passed, the bill's lead sponsor said that support from business convinced moderate legislators to vote for it. Without support from companies like Starbucks, the gay marriage law might have failed.3

Now, if Starbucks backtracks because of opposition, then it will set the gay rights struggle back to a time when big corporations couldn't come out and support gay people for fear of public backlash. Even worse, it will embolden anti-gay activists to target other companies that support gay rights, and serve as a lesson to other companies to stay out of the fight for equal rights entirely.

Starbucks isn't perfect—and in the future we'll probably be asking them to improve their policies on other issues. But it's a big deal when a giant multinational corporation with no particular connection to the gay community realizes that there are real business benefits—from better employees to happier customers—to standing up for progressive ideals. And we can't just criticize corporations when they do bad. We also want to encourage them when they do good.

No link, it was a mass-email from MoveOn.org 

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
Re: NOM has infiltrated my inbox...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:42:44 pm »
I've seen this other places as well.  Makes me want to go for the venti size... :D

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:06 pm »
I never could stand the Starbucks coffee... I've always been a Tim Horton's fan. But I definitely applaud them for standing up for the rights of others.

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:03 pm »
I've seen this other places as well.  Makes me want to go for the venti size... :D

Shouldn't you order two or three shorts since the smallest size is probably going to have the highest profit margin?

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:21:39 pm »

Shouldn't you order two or three shorts since the smallest size is probably going to have the highest profit margin?

Umm, they are called TALLS gawwwwwd.