Author Topic: Lutheran Pastor Apologizes for Sandy Hook Vigil  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Lutheran Pastor Apologizes for Sandy Hook Vigil
« on: February 07, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »
Full Story

Long story short, a Lutheran pastor was involved in an inter-faith vigil for the victims of Sandy Hook.  The president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod demanded an apology, because they forbid joint worship with other religions.

Because, y'know, all the other religions have cooties.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Re: Lutheran Pastor Apologizes for Sandy Hook Vigil
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
Make the sign of the cross, it works as a cootie shot.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:46:04 pm »

We don't do that.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:53:41 pm »

We don't do that.
I realize this, it was just a joke :)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »

We don't do that.
We don't do those.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 01:06:38 pm »

We don't do that.
We don't do those.
...jokes? Harsh, dude.

Offline Atavist

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »
Full Story

Long story short, a Lutheran pastor was involved in an inter-faith vigil for the victims of Sandy Hook.  The president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod demanded an apology, because they forbid joint worship with other religions.

First, screw the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and double screw their president.
One of your members shows a level of humanity in the face of the horrible murder of innocent children. He reaches out beyond your stupid rules, showing the community that they are together in their sorrow.
And you want an apology because he's playing with the group from across the street?
Is it any wonder that people look at you and wonder what the fuck your thinking?
I am too lost for shame
That it moves me unto mirth,
But I can vision a Hell of flame
For I have lived on Earth.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:17:28 pm »
Full Story

First, screw the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and double screw their president.
One of your members shows a level of humanity in the face of the horrible murder of innocent children. He reaches out beyond your stupid rules, showing the community that they are together in their sorrow.
And you want an apology because he's playing with the group from across the street?
Is it any wonder that people look at you and wonder what the fuck your thinking?

Heh. Where I grew up there was a Catholic Church and a Lutheran Church two blocks away, almost right across the street from each other. The Lutheran pastor had been around for decades and was quite well respected (their basement was often used for community events, even by non-Lutherans); the Catholic priests kept getting rotated out every few years. The few times the Lutherans were brought up the Catholic priests (and archbishop) were dismissive of them, to say the least.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:19 pm »
I wouldn't have apologized.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:18:24 pm »
I wonder which of the many Lutheran denominations this guy's church belongs to.

Also, is it just me, or did his apology come across less as "I'm sorry that I did something wrong" and more of "I'm sorry that I offended someone"?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »
A good friend of mine belongs to the Lutheran Church ELCA and he said he'd leave if they ever took on LCMS's way of doing things.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 05:13:38 pm »
You have to say one thing for religious compassion.  No matter which nutzoid group is the source, it's consistent.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »
Is this like the religious version of the He-Man Woman Haters Club? Someone better tell the Little Rascals that someone's muscling in on their turf.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:52:07 pm »
Wow....just wow.  Showing compassion with other groups is...taboo with these people.

Ironbite-amazing.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:11 am »
Wow....just wow.  Showing compassion with other groups is...taboo with these people.

Ironbite-amazing.

Ironbite, we had a similar thing over here in Scotland about 20 years ago.  You see, here we have not only the (Protestant) Church of Scotland, but also the United Free Church of Scotland (commonly called 'The Wee-Frees'.  If that sounds a bit Python-esque, it came about from a split in the 19th Century because the Wee-Frees decided that the Church of Scotland wasn't Protestant enough and formed their own branch.  To give you an idea about how extreme they are, to become a member of the Orange Order, you have to be a Christened and practicing member of the Church of Scotland.  This is the same Orange Order that would happily go back to burning Catholics at the stake and the Wee-Frees are more extreme than them.

So about 20 years ago, the Moderator of the Wee-Frees attended the funeral of an old friend of his.  His friend was a Catholic.  For doing this, the Wee-Frees went into meltdown and tore itself apart.  Attending the funeral of a Catholic?  And not spitting on the grave?  In the ensuring carnage, the Wee-Frees (which has only ever had a few members) tore itself apart.  Their churches are now  split between the moderates, who can talk to a Catholic without looking for lighting fuel and the extremists who are only roughly the same level as the WBC.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!