Author Topic: Death Penalty for Mentally Ill?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Death Penalty for Mentally Ill?
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:05 pm »
An interesting article from Mother Jones dealing with capital punishment and the mentally ill. The author draws comparisons between the prohibition on executing minors and the developmentally disabled with a possible prohibition on executing paranoid schizophrenics who may commit gruesome crimes because they hear voices that they interpret to be God, demons, etc. So what do people think about this? (Since I oppose the death penalty in all circumstances it is already obvious that I would support a ban on executing the mentally ill.)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Death Penalty for Mentally Ill?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:53:25 pm »
Against death penalty.  Would support by default.   Why am I typing like this is Twitter?

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »
Against death penalty.  Would support by default.   Why am I typing like this is Twitter?
#forceofhabit

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »
#makessense

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:52 pm »
I am as against executing the mentally ill as I am against executing... anyone, really.

Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
I don't really see the people who are pro-death penalty being against this. They believe that because the mentally ill can't be rehabilitated any more than a sane killer.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »
It's cause people think insanity defenses are common

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »
I don't really see the people who are pro-death penalty being against this. They believe that because the mentally ill can't be rehabilitated any more than a sane killer.

No, it's not just that. I've honest-to-god heard pro-death penalty people argue that it's too much of a burden for the state to care for prisoners, especially ones with special needs, so it's logical for the state to kill them.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »
to be honest why are severe scizos on  death row anyways shouldn't they be in a mental institution

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:31 pm »
I don't even know how I feel about death penalty for people who even "deserve it"...

I wouldn't want to even punish someone with schizophrenia though, since it really isn't their fault, and it can be cured. There wouldn't be a point in punishing someone who killed someone because they thought they were being attacked by the devil or something.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:04:00 pm »
Well the death penalty is inherently wrong and to Wyykds point I think there is thing that they get a comfy bed in a mental hospital rather then in hell

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:32 pm »
Life will end eventually anyway.  I'd rather criminals who've committed capital crimes be put in a cell for the rest of their life in a facility where they know where they'll be and exactly what their day is going to be like today, tomorrow, the next day, the next month, the next year... for the rest of their life.  Provided they live that long and they don't get killed by any of the other inmates.  That's just how I feel about the death penalty vs Life (without parole) in general.

As far as mentally ill people...  Should be decided very carefully on a case by case basis.  I'd imagine there'd be lots of variables to consider.  Institution, prison or death.  I don't envy the people who would have to make such a decision.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:54:00 pm »
Life will end eventually anyway.  I'd rather criminals who've committed capital crimes be put in a cell for the rest of their life in a facility where they know where they'll be and exactly what their day is going to be like today, tomorrow, the next day, the next month, the next year... for the rest of their life.  Provided they live that long and they don't get killed by any of the other inmates.  That's just how I feel about the death penalty vs Life (without parole) in general.

As far as mentally ill people...  Should be decided very carefully on a case by case basis.  I'd imagine there'd be lots of variables to consider.  Institution, prison or death.  I don't envy the people who would have to make such a decision.
I do since if anyone pleas insanity 9/10 times it's a conviction

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »
Like most everyone here, I'm against the death penalty.

Now, if I weren't against the death penalty, I'd want stricter enforcement of the standards that are, theoretically, built into the law.  That is, a person must be competent to stand trial, and they must have understood what they did.  And if they didn't understand what they did, I'd want to make sure they were put into a treatment facility with some very involved procedures for getting out again, to avoid releasing people who are still a danger to themselves and others. 

As it is, I don't think courts are doing due diligence in protecting either the mentally ill from undue punishment or the public from the dangerously insane.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 12:09:18 am »
When it comes to people with schizophrenia... no. I don't think they should be executed. Schizophrenia can be treated with medications. However... I'm going to go a little against the grain here and say that when it comes to all out SOCIOPATHS who have committed murders, people who are completely incapable of experiencing empathy and who possess no conscience whatsoever, SHOULD be executed. And the reason is this: They don't care. They will NEVER care. There is no medication you can give to them that will magically make them care or feel any form of regret for what they have done. No amount of time behind bars will ever truly make them understand how horribly wrong their actions were. So why bother locking them up if they don't care either way?

This is, of course, just my opinion.