Author Topic: Good Ole Texas Negligence  (Read 1289 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Good Ole Texas Negligence
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:47:19 pm »
Deregulation, blah blah blah.

The West, Texas fertilizer plant that exploded on Wednesday, killing dozens, was only supposed to have had less than 400 lbs of explosive ammonium nitrate — instead, it had 270 tons of the substance. 400 lbs is the threshold where the plant would have had to inform the Department of Homeland Security about the amount of explosives it had. Unfortunately, DHS didn't even know the plant existed.

http://gawker.com/5995145/fertilizer-plant-had-1350-the-amount-of-explosives-it-should-have

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Good Ole Texas Negligence
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »
Although I share in the feelings of extreme outrage about the West explosion....this article's writing quality and the responses it caused are an example of why reporters need actual training to be reporters - fact checking is not an option in actual journalism.

Anyone else find it odd that they'd have so much ammonium nitrate stockpiled? You have to wonder, because it's one of the ingredients you need for making meth. Wonder if they were selling to a lab.

Um, maybe, but probably not. They are more interested in saving money/maximizing profits in fertilizer production and sales.

The West plant's owners/managers deliberately failed to Report the amount of ammonium nitrate they had. It is not unusual in itself that they had so much of the stuff, though. Nor illegal in itself that there was so much. It's just that DHS needs to know where stockpiles of the stuff is, so they can inspect security, inventory handling and safeguards.

Clearly, the plant's owners did not want anyone in authority to inspect their plant, since they could not even be bothered to install basic, required fire suppression equipment.

Another thing that will probably come up as the investigation unfolds is that the plant owners either downplayed the danger posed by the plant with the local zoning officials or those officials allowed themselves to be influenced or bribed into letting the plant be built right in the town. Must have been a combination of cheap real estate and the desire for convenient road and highway access.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 02:19:00 pm »
Another thing that will probably come up as the investigation unfolds is that the plant owners either downplayed the danger posed by the plant with the local zoning officials or those officials allowed themselves to be influenced or bribed into letting the plant be built right in the town. Must have been a combination of cheap real estate and the desire for convenient road and highway access.
I heard from another site that the town had been built around the factory, not the other way round. Still a stupid decicion and recklessly endangering everyone who lived nearby.

I already mentioned that I'm outraged at how they have disregarded every single matter of safety but the more I hear the crazier it sounds. No sprinklers? What the hell? This does not make sense in any way. Even if you don't care about the safety of the people and try to maximise your profits this does not make sense. I doubt there was any insurance taken, at least I refuse to believe that they would get any insurance money once it was revealed that they didn't even have sprinklers and other such basic things.

Did the owners just operate by trusting their luck/prayers?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:22:33 pm »
Another misinformation. The town of West has existed since the mid 1800s. It was settled by mostly Czech immigrants.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 04:51:24 pm »
Another misinformation. The town of West has existed since the mid 1800s. It was settled by mostly Czech immigrants.

Was that the original town?  Wouldn't be the first time a town rebuilt itself for convenience in American history. 

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:39:23 pm »
http://www.west-tx.com/

I also came across a blog post by a reporter in Dallas who is a West native. Trying to find it again.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:51:11 pm »
Particularly, was the factory built in the middle of the town or was it built in the outskirts and the town grew around it?

In either case this should not have happened. They should have kept a bigger empty perimiter around the factory. And seriously, I cannot understand how the benefits of having the factory inside the town could outweigh the problems it causes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 01:07:19 am »
Whoever owns this company just lost billions because of how grossly negligent they are.

Ironbite-the civil trial will be amusing, the criminal trial will be a laugh riot.