Author Topic: Now it's personal  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Now it's personal
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:45:46 am »
Lt. Fred is absolutely furious.

A friend and a former lecturer of mine has been viciously slandered by the Communications Minister, Malcom Turnbull.

Communications Minister-elect Malcolm Turnbull has savagely attacked a University of Queensland lecturer for a seemingly innocuous article analysing rising online dissent towards the Coalition’s NBN policy, inaccurately labelling the academic’s article as “false” and “misleading”, and claiming that it was “a disgrace”...

However, in a statement posted on his website last week, Turnbull rejected the Change.org petition. “The promoters of this petition apparently believe that we should ignore the lengthy public debate on the NBN that preceded the election and also ignore the election result,” said Turnbull. “We should within days of the election walk away from one of our most well debated, well understood and prominent policies. Democracy? I don’t think so.”

Turnbull’s statement was immediately met by criticism by a number of online commentators.

In a post on The Conversation, University of Queensland communications lecturer Sean Rintel pointed out that furore had erupted on social media following Turnbull’s response and that the community was rejecting Turnbull’s stance on the issue. And opinionated online commentator and IT professional Kieran Cummings, who has consistently been a fierce critic of Turnbull and the Coalition’s NBN policy, accused the Liberal MP of “hypocrisy” on the issue, given that he had supported similar petitions in the past on other issues.

In response, Turnbull once again today went on the attack, publishing a statement yesterday rejecting the criticism which had been levelled at him.

The Member for Wentworth first attacked Rintel, who he accused of “misrepresentation” of Turnbull’s view. “His first misrepresentation is in the first paragraph where he writes that social media users “are mobilising against … Malcolm Turnbull’s claim that “democracy has spoken” on the issue of the NBN”,” wrote Turnbull. “I am not sure what the University of Queensland means by “Strategic” Communications, but I doubt they mean “false” or “misleading”.”

Sean is one of the best lecturers at UQ. I am honoured to call him a friend, I hope he would also call me one (this is probably revealing exactly who I am, by the way). I have so many feels, even hours after I got this news. In particular it's such a shock to hear that a friend is being attacked by the fucking Minister, so early in his government.

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/09/16/youre-disgrace-turnbull-slams-lecturers-accurate-nbn-analysis/?utm_content=buffer93fbb&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Now it's personal
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
Geez, Australia's going to hell in a handbasket very quickly :S
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:55:00 pm »
I don't see how you are revealing who you are, unless you're a co-worker of his, too.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:31:45 am »
Is Fred a university professor?

That would be.....quite the revelation.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:10:06 am »
I'm anything you want me to be chitoryu.

I'm a little annoyed nobody cares about my specific personal interface with the new government.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:46:23 am »
Fred, we know the Ab-bots are dicks. Your experience is just the first of several personal interfaces that will occur. I'm sorry about your mate getting insulted. But most of us folks in Australia have slightly more pressing and personal concerns involving the new government.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »
Also, a LOT of people have a personal beef with the government. It may not be as specific as a friend being slandered, but quite a few of us have something we'd like to say. We can't run around ranting and saying "I lose my faith in humanity yet again" every time someone brings up a problem.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:54 pm »
It's not personal Fred, it's politics.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:38:37 pm »
Personally, I'd find it both infuriating and creepy as fuck if a friend of mine was getting publicly attacked by a powerful politician. It's like a matter of scale, really. Sorry fred. Hope nothing this fucking bully pol says can actually damage his professional reputation with those who matter to him. And I hope no Oz equivalent of a teahadi fundie psycho stalks him.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:14 am »
It's not personal Fred, it's politics.

Personal in the sense that it personally effects me.

-FDR