Author Topic: Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).  (Read 8862 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).
« on: December 24, 2013, 03:55:01 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?smid=pl-share

Mine didn't turn out quite like I expected in some ways, but exactly as I expected in others.  Guess I'm a Columbatlantachmond person at heart. ;)

EDIT:  added the Map
EDIT2: Columbus, Atlanta, and Richmond were the areas that met most of my dialectical traits.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:09:51 am by The Doctor »

Art Vandelay

Re: Dialect Quiz (Different than the ones I've seen before).
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:54:45 am »
Apparently Honolulu, Atlanta and Glendale are the most Australian-sounding cities in the US. Though according to some of the various options the quiz presented, you guys have some really weird names for things.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:23:51 am »
I'm most similar to Spokane, Washington; Grand Rapids, Michigan; and Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. I'm not the least bit surprised about the Twin Cities as I've lived an hour away for most of my life, but I wasn't excepting Spokane.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:37:08 am »
Boston, Honolulu and Seattle. I'm not at all surprised about Seattle considering I'm from Vancouver, BC, but I have no idea how the other two ended up there.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:47:26 am »
Las Vegas, Paradise Spring and Henderson a bit weird.

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:05:24 am »
I got Spokane, Salt Lake City and Los Angeles the first time. The second time I got Los Angeles, Santa Rosa and San Francisco.

I'm kinda surprised, as I would have thought that I would get more Eastern cities, as they are at least geographically closer to England.

Also, you have drive-through liquor stores?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:36:31 am »
Omaha, Wichita and Lincoln apparently sound the most Canadian.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:23 pm »
Louisville, Phoenix, and Mesa. I'm such a redneck.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 12:40:57 pm »
Yeah, but they're not hugely popular (at least where I'm at). I didn't know some folks had a special name for them, though.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:09:12 pm »
In order; Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus-Richmond. Makes sense, although I was born and raised in Miami, my mom was from Macon and Orlando (very Southern back in her day), then I lived in the city of Atlanta for 29 years. My map does show some compatibility along the southern half of the US all the way to California, though, so I would bet my Southern accent sounds somewhat less strong than Space Prog/The Doctor's does.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 01:24:28 pm »
Where'd I get the Jersey accent from? Like Newark, really? I also got Glendale and Long Beach which makes total sense since I live in the Greater Los Angeles Area.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »
Atlanta's got a big mix of people so the 'southern drawl' isn't quite as pronounced at all there, even amongst those who have it.  Columbus, I don't know as I've never been there.  Richmond is... kinda middling, really.  There's traits from both the Southeast, and New England, then you have the people from around DC having an effect, which is kind of like Atlanta.  Lots of different accents mixing. 

I do have an accent, that much is true, but it's kind of an odd one from watching a LOT of British TV in my formative years, as well as having influences from other parts of the US (From TV and radio). 

Let's just say that I've been asked quite a few times where I was born only to tell them "Dalton, GA".   Then the inevitable "Really?"   Ah well.  I've been mistaken to have been from England, Ireland, Canada, California, ... pretty much everywhere I'm not from that speaks English, lol.

Yeah, but they're not hugely popular (at least where I'm at). I didn't know some folks had a special name for them, though.

I have never seen a drive-through liquor store in my life, but its special name should be, "The shittiest idea ever thought."

Where'd I get the Jersey accent from? Like Newark, really? I also got Glendale and Long Beach which makes total sense since I live in the Greater Los Angeles Area.

I think the test is flawed for a couple of reasons:

1. It doesn't let you select multiple responses on the same question. For instance, I use "roly poly" and "potato bug" interchangeably, as well as "highway" and "freeway," etc. This forces me to pick one and can skew the results in a certain direction.

2. It suggests answers to the test-takers rather than soliciting answers themselves. I know this is sort of inevitable when you're using this "quiz" format, but I think it might influence the test-takers' answers somewhat. Like in the bug question, my first thought when reading it was "roly poly," but when I read "potato bug" I remembered that I use the same word to refer to the same creature as well.

The thing is, I don't think it's supposed to guess where you're from or your accent, it's just showing you what parts your speech have in common with the rest of the country.  I don't think a dialect quiz CAN be completely flawless because as I've said above, people get influenced from lots of things. 
Meh, I thought it was fun to play with.

EDIT: As far as the multiple terms that one uses for the same thing, I just put down the one I used most.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:40:52 pm by The Doctor »

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »

I have never seen a drive-through liquor store in my life, but its special name should be, "The shittiest idea ever thought."

Yeah, I can't really think of many legitimate reasons for needing to buy alcohol without even getting out of your car.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »
And I took it a second time and got Boston (again!), Augusta-Richmond, and Washington, DC. Now I'm even more confused.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 03:52:12 pm »
I'd like to see an accent/dialect test that covers all English speaking regions, not just the US.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)