Author Topic: Debate: Are The WBC Self-Aware?  (Read 14218 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Re: Debate: Are The WBC Self-Aware?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:17 am »
How many cases of people leaving the "church" are there?

Not a lot. Nate Phelps is the highest profile, though one grandchild left recently, I think. Those who've left have reported child abuse and brainwashing.
So what is preventing these reports from leading to actual legal consequences?

Here's Nate Phelps's take on it.

For those that can't understand part of Dawkin's reaction, I should point out that the law in both Scotland and England has no statute of limitations:  It doesn't matter when you committed a crime, be it 1973 or 2003, when the Police catch up with the perp that's them going to trial.  Cases in the last few years have shown this, such as the World's End murders or the (and I loathe the term in this case) 'Bakewell Tart' murder.

There's no statute of limitations on murder in the US either.  The UK does have the Limitation Act of 1980, which limits the period of time before which charges must be brought for certain offenses, though it defines the offenses on which it applies more strictly than US jurisdictions tend to.

That sounds like English common law, in Scots Law they like to throw the book at someone who's evaded justice for too long, as happened with Peter Tobin.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 09:06:43 am »
Statute of Limitations on Child Abuse makes no sense. As if an 8-year-old has the wherewithal to press charges.
-A Pen Name

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:58 am »
Statute of Limitations on Child Abuse makes no sense. As if an 8-year-old has the wherewithal to press charges.

This. It's as bad a crime as murder, and should be treated in the same manner.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
I don't know if I'd say that child abuse is on par with murder, but I definitely agree that there shouldn't be a statute of limitations on it.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 11:37:44 am »
Ehhh, to quote the movie Speed, "Crazy, but not stupid".
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 07:38:44 pm »
Do any of you think there are "churches" with similar beliefs to the WBC that don't attract attention?

There was a topic not too long ago about an arguably even crazier group (of like 2 people) who don't get as much attention even though they outright attack counter-protestors.

And I agree, Statute of Limitations is beginning to look a lot like horseshit.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:33 pm »
I keep reading the thread title and interpreting as a question on whether Fred Phelps is a p-zombie.

On topic, I'm relatively sure at least some of them (Fred being the most obvious) do it for the money & attention. But that doesn't mean he doesn't believe it. In fact, he probably does, which is why he chose this particular means of shit-stirring.

Also, there's evidence that simply publicly speaking in favour of an idea makes you more likely to believe it. Assuming Fred was even slightly homophobic at first, by now he must be as hateful as he acts.
Σא

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:25 pm »
This just popped in my head, because that's the way it works.  :P  Anyway, what do you guys think would happen if there was a group from the LGBT community who decided to form and protest funerals of high profile members of the conservative community? 
All things are no-thing.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 08:38:17 pm »
This just popped in my head, because that's the way it works.  :P  Anyway, what do you guys think would happen if there was a group from the LGBT community who decided to form and protest funerals of high profile members of the conservative community? 

That would make us just as bad as them, and we don't want that.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 09:01:35 pm »

I agree.  It was more a hypothetical/rhetorical question. 
On another note, I find it strange that most within conservative xtianity disagrees with the WBC.  That's ultimately what they're all aiming for.
All things are no-thing.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »

On another note, I find it strange that most within conservative xtianity disagrees with the WBC.  That's ultimately what they're all aiming for.

Not necessarily. I know conservative Christians who believe that evolution is a lie, that abortion is murder, that everyone who doesn't believe like they do is going to hell, that we all have to be Israel fanboys, yadda yadda yadda, but like 90% of them will concede that marriage is a civil right that should be extended to same-sex couples. I don't think most Christians are aiming to force gays/bisexuals/transgenders back into the closet, nor do they want to kill them all. We just hear about shitheads like the WBC the most because they're vocal. They feed off of our raeg.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline one-shot

• Bishop
  • Zen is...
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 09:17:41 pm »

Not necessarily. I know conservative Christians who believe that evolution is a lie, that abortion is murder, that everyone who doesn't believe like they do is going to hell, that we all have to be Israel fanboys, yadda yadda yadda, but like 90% of them will concede that marriage is a civil right that should be extended to same-sex couples. I don't think most Christians are aiming to force gays/bisexuals/transgenders back into the closet, nor do they want to kill them all. We just hear about shitheads like the WBC the most because they're vocal. They feed off of our raeg.

True.  And they might just go away if we didn't pay any attention to them, but it's really hard to not feed the trolls.  Sometimes, they're just asking for a beat down.
All things are no-thing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 08:44:54 am »
It's probably a combination of Even Evil Has Standards and the fact that the WBC are very anti-American, despite being American themselves.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58:25 am »

I suppose they could protest the funerals of a WBC member, but even were they to do that, I'd just do a silent protest.

At the moment, WBC seems to be doing a good job of getting people to believe the opposite of what they want:  If they'd stuck to the funerals of LGBT people, I think they would have maintained their support, but picketing the funerals of dead soldiers must be costing them a lot of support.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!