Author Topic: Richmond Police Chief joins a protest and gets reprimanded  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Richmond Police Chief joins a protest and gets reprimanded
« on: December 15, 2014, 01:05:03 pm »
Remember that picture I found of a cop holding a #BlackLivesMatter sign?  Well, I recently found out the context.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Richmond-cops-slam-chief-for-holding-Black-lives-5953636.php

Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus, who gained nationwide attention for holding a sign reading “Black lives matter” at a peaceful protest in his city, was criticized by his department’s rank-and-file Friday for doing so in uniform.

The Richmond Police Officers Association said members were not upset by the message, but by the fact that Magnus was wearing his uniform when he attended a Tuesday demonstration on Macdonald Avenue. The message on his sign is one of the rallying cries that emerged after grand juries in Missouri and New York declined to indict white police officers for killing two unarmed black men.

The union said the chief’s actions violated the state’s Government Code, which states that “No officer or employee of a local agency shall participate in political activities of any kind while in uniform.”

Alison Berry Wilkinson, an attorney for the Richmond police union, said Friday that the chief, like anyone else, has a First Amendment right to free speech. But state law explicitly bars him from sending a message while in uniform.

“Police chiefs are not above the law,” Wilkinson said. “While many may admire the chief for proactively engaging with the community on one of the most significant political issues of the day, by doing so in uniform he violated the very laws he is sworn to uphold.”

She said Richmond police officers “enforce the laws of this state without passion or prejudice, and are disappointed the chief felt free to flaunt those laws by wearing his uniform during the protest.”

I'm kind of torn about this.  On the one hand, I can see where the union is coming from.  On the other, I don't think joining the protest out of uniform would have had as big of an impact.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Richmond Police Chief joins a protest and gets reprimanded
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:01:22 pm »
Dumb.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »
"Now, if he had simply bashed one of the protestors brains into the pavement he would have gotten a raise!"

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:38 pm »
They're finding excuses to punish him for daring to support the protesters. If this had been a protest in support of Darren Wilson, none of these cops would have batted an eye.

Take 'em to court, chief. Get that law off the books like it should.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:20 pm »
Yeah police unions get plenty political when someone sues one of their members for cracking the wrong skull or doing it with too much enthusiasm. Guess they don't always do it in uniform.