Author Topic: Pope condemns same-sex marriage, pisses off LGBT Catholics  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Pope condemns same-sex marriage, pisses off LGBT Catholics
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:18:28 pm »
Link to article

I've been saying it all along. This continues to confirm that Pope Francis, despite showing sympathy and apparent desire for dialogue, really doesn't care about advancing LGBT causes. He only wants to get along and play nice with LGBT people in order to win them back into the church, get them to stop criticizing it, and get them paying their tithes again.

Between this, attempting to keep Malta from recognizing same-sex marriage, and claiming that blurring gender lines is as dangerous as nuclear weapons, how can any LGBT people still think this guy supports them?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Pope condemns same-sex marriage, pisses off LGBT Catholics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 05:57:36 am »
A Pope, toeing the party line?  *monocole pops off*

Ironbite- on social issues, this Pope isn't any different

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:43:24 am »
I'm confused about something. Pope is a fancy way off saying CEO of an extremely conservative organization with a very long, very proud history of conservativism. Were people expecting something different with Francis?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Even Then

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:02:53 am »
Hope springs eternal I guess.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:09:51 pm »
Erm... sorry Random Guy, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  While I disagree with his stance on gay marriage, I don't think he's as cynical as you seem to believe.  A year ago, he endorsed pro-gay statements, but they were vetoed by hardliners in the synod.  While there hasn't been much substantial change, you have to remember that he's not an autocrat.  You also have to consider the fact that it's not realistic to expect an organization as big and old as the Catholic Church to change overnight.  Furthermore, he has a lot of other things to worry about, things that require more urgent attention.

Is he still homophobic?  Yes.  But you have to remember that there are degrees of bigotry.  There's a world of difference between an old fogey who occasionally mutters racial slurs out of habit, and the asshole who thinks all Latinos are drug-dealing rapists.  Moreover, you have to remember that it wasn't so long ago that Obama opposed same-sex marriage.  And yet I don't remember gays calling him "more of the same, just nicer about it."  This also shows that people can change.  It's not impossible that Francis might have a change of heart.

Also, he was taken out of context about transgender people.  What he was really talking about was gender ideology.  What he was criticizing was what Mark Yarhouse calls the "strong form of the diversity framework," which claims all divisions of gender and sexuality are mere social constructs.

Pope Francis may not be perfect, but it's a bit unfair to criticize him simply for not being what you want him to be.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 04:43:16 pm »
I'm confused about something. Pope is a fancy way off saying CEO of an extremely conservative organization with a very long, very proud history of conservativism. Were people expecting something different with Francis?

...yes? That is exactly what happened, people thought he'd be different. I remember because I have the distinct recollection of there being people who thought he was going to be the great reformer* who brought the Church into the 21st century and of reminding them that Francis was a homophobic asshole who fought against same-sex marriage in Argentina and that you don't become an archbishop without being a conservative Catholic.

*Which is apparently the title of his biography! I did not know that when I wrote that sentence, weird
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 10:10:54 am »
UP, its not that we're blasting him for not being what we want him to be; we're blasting him because he's failed to actually bring the Catholic church out of the 12th century.  The RCC is as full of duplicitous, perfidious, criminals as it has ever been.  At this point, the Church must either reform or die.  Nearly 2000 years they've spent on top because they didn't have any real competition.  Martin Luther brought some, and the secular world brought even more.  Then again, changing 2000 years worth of doctrine would likely kill them, anyway, so who knows?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:14:38 am »
Called it in the Kim Davis thread; his previous statements were simply an attempt by the catholic church to stay relevant with young people who see it as an outdated and bigoted institution.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:49:40 pm »
I knew Francis was a dork from day one....but I hoped he kept that sexuality stuff as a "non-issue" and focus on pressing stuff like poverty, working for world peace & fighting economic injustice.

When it comes to that, he's okay but in regards to sex & gender issues, he's an ass.

Progressive Roman Catholics should just ditch the Vatican and start their own denomination. Actually, there is such a denomination as a Liberal Catholic Church.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Catholic_Movement
....It's a family of sects. Some are Roman-type Catholicism without the stupid stuff and others mix Theosophy with it. There should be some big donors who bring this stuff into the mainstream.