Author Topic: My recent strange(and cheap) acquisition. Anyone know something about air tanks?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
This last Saturday I was at a huge auction with my dad and I bought these (supposedly old fire fighting) air tanks(3), harnesses(3), and masks(9). The auction was in a huge field so all the stuff was sitting outside for at least a couple days prior to the auction itself. The day of the auction it rained a couple times, though I had bought them and got them in my dads truck before the worst of the rain. I'm going to say now I have no experience with air tanks, whether underwater or on land.

Full picture

Tanks, one came with a "free" harness(it was attached when I bought it, hence why I picked it out of the pile).

Two harnesses

Masks

Two of the tanks are aluminum, the other is composite. The composite is a Surviair brand according to the worn and peeling sticker. The two empty harnesses are Survivair Sigmas. I don't know what brand or model the one attached to the air tank is. All nine masks are also Survivair sigmas. At the bottom of the box of masks I found a PASS device.

I looked the Sigma model up online and it said they were not fire rated, so what these were actually used for is a mystery to me.

I checked the dates on the composite tank and the oldest I saw was '99(test sticker), so it should still be good right? The black connection piece on four of the masks have chips missing out of them, so I assume that they are either useless for anything other than looks or need that piece replaced.

If anyone can enlighten me on these and whether they are still usable or not I would love to know. I'm also curious as to whether these can be used underwater. The most likely use I will have for them is to have a way to fill paintball compressed air tanks at home, since a proper compressor is expensive and compressed air is better for the guns than the much more common CO2. If the tanks aren't usable then I'll make a Big Daddy costume using them(especially since the composite is near the end of it's life span). I'll probable sell the broken masks to my classmates at school, especially since the were willing to pay insane money for my gas mask when I wore it to school on Halloween. And if all the stuff is in good condition I never have to worry about being on the "bad" side of the campfire again ;D.

Sort-of-off-topic story time: No, this is not the weirdest thing I've ever bought. Nor is it the oddest thing I've seen at that particular auction, last time I went I think I saw them auctioning off a Dragonov sniper rifle, or one of a similar style gun( meaning a stretched AK with a scope on it). Since my dad owns a used car lot (though we sell a lot more than cars) out in the country, he goes to auctions to get cars, farm equipment, trailers, etc. Quite a few times the cars we get will have interesting "junk" in them, like an entire coin collection, pocket knives(I'm a knife lover ;D), a machete, a hatchet, a scooter, fuck loads of coins in ashtrays, one car was full of unopened condoms all over the place, and the once the police asked if they could use the area we keep junk cars(for parts or to be scraped) to train their drug dogs and found a bag of pot, but not one they planted.

EDIT: I changed the title.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:49:41 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: My recent strange acquisition. Anyone know something about air tanks?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:39 pm »
Nothing? No one?

I should add that I got these things super cheap(I think). It was probably because no one had any idea what to do with old air tank, or if they were worth anything. I got the two harnesses for $5(not including the unidentified one), $12 for each mask, and I think $15 per tank.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Well I got some sort of training on tanks like that back when I was doing maintenance work in a factory. The tanks were used when someone had to go in one of the vats filled with gasses/fumes. It was easier than trying to clean the air in them. (Also since some were small you might actually run out of air inside.) Funny thing is that atleast in the ones we had the tank is "upsidedown" when you put it one the rig. Because that way you can reach the valve with your hands while wearing the rig easier.

I wouldn't take them underwater, first of all they are past inspection (when your life is on the line things like that are actually important and not just some bureaucratic crap) second, I don't know if the mask even works underwater. (You would think that diving gear has to tolerate huge pressures but on surface that isn't necessary so I don't know if these masks are built as tough.)

Also, Dragunov is not a streched out AK. Though it looks similar it is built quite differently. There are sniper rifles that are basically stretched out AK's (At least the Iraqis had one, it actually used 7.62x39mm ammo... Poor choice for ammo) but Dragunov/SVD is not one of them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
I wouldn't take any chances before pressurizing any of them.  A high pressure tank has a ridiculous amount of stored energy, and it's not something you'd want to be in the same room as if there's any chance of it blowing.  Your best bet is to use them for cosplay unless you can get someone to inspect it that really knows what he's doing.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
I wouldn't take any chances before pressurizing any of them.  A high pressure tank has a ridiculous amount of stored energy, and it's not something you'd want to be in the same room as if there's any chance of it blowing.  Your best bet is to use them for cosplay unless you can get someone to inspect it that really knows what he's doing.

Well seeing as I lack the special type of compressor needed to fill tanks like these, I would have to get it filled by a company that does have one. I'd bet they wouldn't touch it with a 39 1/2 foot pole if they don't have an up to date inspection. From what I've read the aluminum tanks have to be inspected every two years, and the most recent date I've found is '02. So yea, I'll be getting the aluminum ones inspected before I would try using them.

The composite is almost certainly past  it's 15 year life span judging from the dates on it, though the outer most layer of clear material coating the tank and manufacturing label it too dirty and scuffed (not deep scratches though) to make out the production date. At best it might have two years left.

Also, Dragunov is not a streched out AK. Though it looks similar it is built quite differently. There are sniper rifles that are basically stretched out AK's (At least the Iraqis had one, it actually used 7.62x39mm ammo... Poor choice for ammo) but Dragunov/SVD is not one of them.

I only saw the one I mentioned from a distance so I was describing appearance more than anything. While I know nothing about the inside of the Dragonov, I assume it has about as much in common with the AK as the Vz. 58 does. What about the AEK-971 and the AN-94 "Abakan"? Do either of those share anything more than appearance with the AK?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Well I did have to check wikipedia about the AEK-971 since I hadn't even heard about it before (Apparently it is 'similar' or 'based on AK' but modified for better accurasy in automatic fire.)

I know that AN-94 has that thing with absorbing the recoil by having the barrel move backwards so that one atleast is very drastically different from AK by construction. They do look similar on the outside and the 'controls' are similar since they probably want to make sure that moving from AK to the new rifles is easy. (Also the appearance is iconic.)

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!