Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 78881 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 07:49:01 pm »
Not totally related, but there was a shooting at a local mall about an hour ago. Reports say two people are confirmed dead.

I was just about to mention this. And I'm already seeing the news jumping all over the fact that he used an AR-15.

Sad, really, because these days when I see a news report of some mass shooting and the guy used an AR for it, I get cynical towards the media jumping all over the rifle. Scare tactic to boost ratings. Because it just wasn't scary to harp all over the perp of the Sikh temple shooting's 9mm pistol. Took me three days after it happened before I found out what kind of gun he used.

Yeah, sorry, I'm cynical about this. I'd rather see them spend less time telling us what he used and more time telling us why he did it.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »
I'm really pissed at all the pro-gunners jumping into the comments on every news article to tell anyone talking gun control to shut up. I had a cousin working there, and I only just managed to hear from her. The people at the mall are what matters right now, but all these pricks want to do is use this as an excuse to preach about how everyone should be armed.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »
Oh, ok. So it wasn't the gun that did the killing, it was a person using a gun.

So now guns aren't a problem, we should let anybody drive a car; qualified or not. Because cars don't have accidents, PEOPLE DO.

We have reasonable requirements on who can dive a car, that being that they have to show they have the minimum competency by taking a driving test. Guns also have a reasonable requirement of a background check.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 07:57:48 pm »
I'm really pissed at all the pro-gunners jumping into the comments on every news article to tell anyone talking gun control to shut up. I had a cousin working there, and I only just managed to hear from her. The people at the mall are what matters right now, but all these pricks want to do is use this as an excuse to preach about how everyone should be armed.

I don't blame you; the instant politicizing of any tragedy chaps my ass. Is your cousin okay?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »
She's fine, but traumatized. She worked in the Macy's where someone was killed.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
She's fine, but traumatized. She worked in the Macy's where someone was killed.

Holy shit. Glad to hear she's okay; I just hope she'll be able to get some therapy if she needs it.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:50 pm »
Going by Facebook posts, at least four people I know were there. All of them are okay, but I'm really worried there are others. This is the closest something like this has ever been to home.

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 08:11:58 pm »
Going by Facebook posts, at least four people I know were there. All of them are okay, but I'm really worried there are others. This is the closest something like this has ever been to home.

Just make sure everyone's okay. Right now, that the most you can do and it's likely the most important thing you can do.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »

However, the AR-15, the AR-15 carbine, and the civilian legal AK-47 are all functionally different from their military counterparts. They fire once per pull of the trigger and this makes them no different than grandpa's M1 Garand, the Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30, Ruger 10/22 or any other semi-automatic rifle.

Thank you!

I am tired of people thinking that the AK is some sort of magical killing device.  If anything, you probably stand a better chance of surviving an AK round than you do a 12 gauge slug and many buckshot rounds.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 01:05:41 am »

So now guns aren't a problem, we should let anybody drive a car; qualified or not. Because cars don't have accidents, PEOPLE DO.

That is not what I tried to explain. Giving everyone guns is an incredibly bad idea and most "pro-gun" people I know agree with this. Which is also why none of us would want Finland to have similar laws like the USA's second amendmend.

A person who wants to own a gun should go through a background check and some sort of safety training as a minimum requirement. Just like anyone who wants to be able to drive a car legally goes to driving school for several months.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36:13 am »

I'm sure that'll stop about the time you get stuff like this to stop;

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:26 am »

However, the AR-15, the AR-15 carbine, and the civilian legal AK-47 are all functionally different from their military counterparts. They fire once per pull of the trigger and this makes them no different than grandpa's M1 Garand, the Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30, Ruger 10/22 or any other semi-automatic rifle.

Thank you!

I am tired of people thinking that the AK is some sort of magical killing device.  If anything, you probably stand a better chance of surviving an AK round than you do a 12 gauge slug and many buckshot rounds.

Isn't the problem though that the AK's (at least the 47.  I don't know about the rest) fire a lot more than a single round when you pull the trigger.  That's what concerns me, not one shot, lots of shots in a small amount of time, especially in neighborhoods where people live close together. 

Although I think that if you need an AK-47 or an M-9 to defend your home, the Constitution is the least of your problems.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Damen

• The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:45 am »

Thank you!

Isn't the problem though that the AK's (at least the 47.  I don't know about the rest) fire a lot more than a single round when you pull the trigger.  That's what concerns me, not one shot, lots of shots in a small amount of time, especially in neighborhoods where people live close together. 

Although I think that if you need an AK-47 or an M-9 to defend your home, the Constitution is the least of your problems.

I think the real misconception for this comes from that fact that, unlike with the AR-15, there is no separate designation between a military AK-47 or AKM and a civilian legal AK-47 or AKM. It's just the AK-47 and AKM, unlike the AR-15 and M16.

A civilian legal AK-47 or AKM is semi-auto only. It can only fire once per pull of the trigger. Any more than that and it becomes a Class 3 Destructive Device and is illegal without special permits and taxes and paper-work and gun safes and inspections and lots and lots of ibuprofen for the pain that will lodge itself firmly up your ass for owning one.
"Fear my .45"

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 04:33:40 am »
How many bullets are you allowed in a magazine? Thirty rounds of 39 mm ammo will probably do MORE damage semi-auto than fired rock-and-roll.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 06:23:50 am »
I'm sure that'll stop about the time you get stuff like this to stop;

Admittedly I'm coming at it from a warped perspective as a non-American, so anybody possessing a handgun is sort of inconceivable. Just about everybody where I live has a shotgun or a rifle, and they seem to do the trick.

European style gun control could never work in America due to the sheer amount of guns already present and the way that the American psyche has got so used to guns over the years.

'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart