Author Topic: The New Korean War: Discuss it here  (Read 41926 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: The New Korean War: Discuss it here
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2013, 11:49:26 am »
NK citizens for the most part are probably fully indoctrinated and have something akin to Stockholm syndrome. I've watched enough of both openly recorded and hidden camera footage to be convinced of that. But, no doubt, especially among the many who have seen their family and friends disappear to the concentration camps, there is loathing-type fear, more than obedience/worship-type fear of the govt.

But for the most part, they probably really do hate and fear all foreigners other than the Chinese.  However, should a war be fought, in the aftermath, offering lots of decent food to all the NK civilians and disarmed soldiers would quickly light up some good feelings, curiosity, and earn some trust.

They have been controlled and trained through food access control for so long, suffered so many famines, that doing something so simple could quickly win them over.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »
NK citizens for the most part are probably fully indoctrinated and have something akin to Stockholm syndrome. I've watched enough of both openly recorded and hidden camera footage to be convinced of that. But, no doubt, especially among the many who have seen their family and friends disappear to the concentration camps, there is loathing-type fear, more than obedience/worship-type fear of the govt.

But for the most part, they probably really do hate and fear all foreigners other than the Chinese.  However, should a war be fought, in the aftermath, offering lots of decent food to all the NK civilians and disarmed soldiers would quickly light up some good feelings, curiosity, and earn some trust.

They have been controlled and trained through food access control for so long, suffered so many famines, that doing something so simple could quickly win them over.

I mentioned that in the older North Korea thread, back when the initial threats started occurring and I started to view a war as likely. There's actually an American ration spun off from the MRE called the Humanitarian Daily Ration that we've been handing out in the Middle East, even air dropping them. We've got the capability to literally fling enough food at villages to keep them fed. Not to mention everything done in Africa involving treating malnutrition.

The only problem will be the initial part of the war, when we're engaging in large-scale combat while trying not to accidentally kill any civilians. Accidents WILL happen, which the government can use for propaganda as long as they're still active. But handing out food and not acting like the devil incarnate rolling through villages like the new Vietnam War will keep the propaganda from having the intended effect.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2013, 02:37:58 pm »
Would the US really nuke the Korean peninsula and risk the fallout spreading to SK?

Yeah, if you think they will, you need some psychiatric help. Not only would a nuke wipe out a vast swath of civilians, it's nowhere near as accurate as pinpoint bombing we can do, costs less and has far fewer reprecussions like, oh, touching off a nuke in China's back yard of all places.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2013, 02:47:04 pm »
Do we know that? You may well be right, but I'm not sure that we know all that much about Korean society.

Considering NK won't have a place for their troops to run like Cambodia, yeah, I don't have any serious belief they won't be quashed. We were kicking the teeth out of the North Vietnamese militarily, it wasn't till we scaled back to let Vietnamization take over that shit went south because the South Vietnamese military folded and the puppet government couldn't stand.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball