Author Topic: Legally required invasive procedure and Medical Scarlet letter Law  (Read 51990 times)

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
Re: Legally required invasive procedure and Medical Scarlet letter Law
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 08:40:54 pm »
I've had one of those ultrasounds before and let me tell you, it is fucking uncomfortable. And that was for nothing more than seeing that my IUD was in the right place after the procedure was done--nothing so emotionally manipulative on the line as making me look at a grey blurry blob on a screen or hear a faint heartbeat to guilt me into keeping a pregnancy I neither planned nor wanted.

Fuck Virginia.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

QueenofHearts

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:02:51 pm »
Fuck Virginia.

:-\ Its really a good state. The temperature is nice, there's a fair amount of scenario and history if you interested, the beaches in summer are amazing. Our representatives are just assholes.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
Invasive and uncomfortable yes.  Rape, no.

OF COURSE YOU DON'T THINK IT'S RAPE!  OF COURSE!

Ironbite-how typical.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
I kind of want to see how he can possibly claim it's not rape without saying something that sounds eerily similar to a rape apologist argument.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 09:28:48 pm »
It's not rape because it is a medical procedure that is agreed to by the women.  Yes, by this new law she must have one before she can have an abortion.  It's stupid and pointless, but she still has to agree to the procedure.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:45:26 pm by m52nickerson »
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
Congrats....you're now a rape apologist.

Ironbite-congrats.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:43 pm »
It's not rape because it is a medical procedure that is agreed to by the women.  Yes, by this new law she much have one before she can have an abortion.  It's stupid and pointless, but she still has to agree to the procedure.

"Either let me put this device in your vagina or you will be withheld medical treatment" sounds a hell of a lot like rape to me. Sure, she can decline, but I see very little difference between that and any other sort of threat. About the only difference I can think of is that the penetration isn't designed for the sexual or egoistic needs of the individual; it's just to punish the woman for having sex.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:04 pm »
It's not rape because it is a medical procedure that is agreed to by the women.  Yes, by this new law she much have one before she can have an abortion.  It's stupid and pointless, but she still has to agree to the procedure.

This is what you might call "coercion."

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »

Ironbite-congrats.

Coming from you that means absolutely nothing.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:14 pm »

This is what you might call "coercion."

That might be true if the doctors were the ones making that decision.  They are not.  They will be following that law.  They will not have an option to just preform the abortion.

Plus I might think that actual victims of rape might disagree that having this procedure done is rape.  Hell, lets just call routine pap-smears rape as well.  I hear those are uncomfortable.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:35 pm »

Ironbite-congrats.

After recent events, everything coming from you means absolutely nothing.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:52 pm »
I think the point they're trying to make to you is that they can use this to withhold treatment if you don't let them shove something you don't want in your vagina into you.  That's a weeeeeeee bit different than a pap smear.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »
Invasive and uncomfortable yes.  Rape, no.

That being said perhaps the thought escaped some of the state legislators that women might now just wait longer to have an abortion and avoid this procedure.

It's coercive, forcible penetration with an object. Don't they call that 'object rape'?
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »

Ironbite-congrats.

I don't get it, did Ironbite say anything that would make his view on rape invalid?

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »
Speaking as an "actual" sexual assault survivor (not rape, but still a high traumatic experience; I would rather not go into the details), I would not be offended if someone referred to this as medical sexual assault. Granted, I only represent a single data point, but this kind of ranking of sexual assault really pisses me off. All unwanted touching, groping and penetration is traumatic, and how badly a person reacts doesn't work on a linear scale -- it's belittling to say, "Oh, what would REAL victims of rape/sexual assault/whatever think about this!?"

The coercion is at the hands of the government. The fact that the doctor is merely following the law does not alter the fact that this has the potential to traumatize countless women. This is medical assault, period.

And comparing this to a pap smear is ignorant as hell. It's not the discomfort that's the issue -- many medical procedures range from unpleasant to downright excruciation. It's the fact that women are being coerced into an invasive, uncomfortable procedure that's the real problem here. Last I checked, there aren't any laws forcing women to get pap smears.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:00:37 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)