Community > Politics and Government

Canada Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Use

<< < (2/3) > >>

ironbite:
It should be already be a thing but darn our Puritan sense of sex and sexuality.

Askold:
I'm not opposed to government owned monopolies. Finnish gambling and (most of) alcohol sales being a government monopoly seems to work decently.

dpareja:

--- Quote from: Askold on July 12, 2018, 12:34:32 pm ---I'm not opposed to government owned monopolies. Finnish gambling and (most of) alcohol sales being a government monopoly seems to work decently.

--- End quote ---

There's certain matters where government monopolies are preferable, or at least very strict government regulation.

Not sure if alcohol is an appropriate monopoly (though I'd at least want that sold in standalone stores, private or not, not mixed in with everything else as in many if not all US states), and the same goes for marijuana. Gambling at least calls for extremely strict regulation to ensure that bettors aren't getting screwed, though, again, not sure if a government monopoly is best.

Same would go for prostitution--strict regulation (to make sure the workers don't have STIs and such), but not a government monopoly.

RavynousHunter:
Hell, if memory serves, Virginia has a more-or-less state monopoly on liquor stores.  The only thing I have to complain about, there is that they're a little smaller than I'd like and don't rotate their samplers often, if at all.  Minor quibbles, really, and the stores are almost always well-kept or at least clean.

ironbite:
Clean yes, samplers what?

Ironbite-they have samplers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version